Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POEM: New clients out

Diamond Member

POEM: New clients out

As already written on Twitter, the new clients are out. If you encounter any problems, please let us know here immediately.The CPU clients should now work again with the newest BOINC client release and should also be a little bit faster.----Wie bereits auf Twitter geschrieben sind die neuen Clients raus. Sofern ihr auf irgendwelche Probleme stoßen solltet, meldet euch bitte hier.Die CPU Clients sollten nun wieder mit dem neuesten Client funktionieren und auch etwas schneller sein.

More...

Platinum Member

Re: POEM: New clients out

Take this as a reminder that all of us out here with app_info.xml files need to make sure we're current!

Gold Member

If I read it right in the boinc_dev email the other day, DA also made a change in the BOINC server code so that work can be evenly distributed amongst users. If implemented at PEOM, it may make the BOINC project updater obsolete. He didn't mention which project(s) requested the change, but my guess is that it is one of those with limited WUs available such as SIMAP or POEM.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    If I read it right in the boinc_dev email the other day, DA also made a change in the BOINC server code so that work can be evenly distributed amongst users. If implemented at PEOM, it may make the BOINC project updater obsolete. He didn't mention which project(s) requested the change, but my guess is that it is one of those with limited WUs available such as SIMAP or POEM.
    Hmm. Considering what DA thinks is "Equal pay" for GPU's, I guess I should expect to start getting just as much work from any project that implements that as Duke does.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    Take this as a reminder that all of us out here with app_info.xml files need to make sure we're current!
    Update BOINC to version 7.0.44 and use an app_config instead of an app_info and you won't have to worry about keeping the app_info files current. I tested it by leaving the 1.03 file in the project folder, deleted the app_info, switched to an app_config and started BOINC. It downloaded the new 1.04 file with a WU and started crunching while ignoring the 1.03 file still in the folder.
    WARNING: Complete all the tasks you have in cache before trying this. They will be lost if you don't.

Here is what my app-config looks like to run 6 tasks on a 7970. I didn't test running 6 at a time. The 1 I did test showed the correct CPU and GPU usage so I'm sure it would work as they were the same settings I used for the app_info.

<app_config>
    <app>
    <name>poemcl</name>
    <gpu_versions>
    <gpu_usage>0.166</gpu_usage>
    <cpu_usage>1.0</cpu_usage>
    </gpu_versions>
    </app>
    </app_config>

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Diamond Member

Now that there is a new app, and we can use app_config.xml instead of app_info.xml, does the dual nvidia card problem still exist?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Now that there is a new app, and we can use app_config.xml instead of app_info.xml, does the dual nvidia card problem still exist?
    Yes you can use the app_config but you have to update boinc to 7.0.44. I don't know if the dual Nvidia card problem still exists. Hopefully the new POEM 1.4 app addressed that issue.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by nanoprobe View Post
    Yes you can use the app_config but you have to update boinc to 7.0.44. I don't know if the dual Nvidia card problem still exists. Hopefully the new POEM 1.4 app addressed that issue.
    I'll play with it in my dual box after the PG challenge and post my results.

Silver Member

So do I need to change my app info file or update boinc or both. I'm confused.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkarl1 View Post
    So do I need to change my app info file or update boinc or both. I'm confused.
    Well, I'm still getting work on all 4 of my boxes that can run POEM, so I'm not messing with it until that changes. Not super interested in installing the bleeding-edge BOINC Client for a single project. Especially if it's not yet necessary.

Although, the new apps are supposedly a bit improved and should get slightly better credit it seems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast