Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: declining volunteer population

Diamond Member

declining volunteer population

I was wondering where to post this. This sub-forum is perfect, but for the reverse reason.

This is a net graph. I would love to see the actual numbers of new folks joining vs current folks becoming idle, broken down by project too.

The point: I am not sure the problem is recruitment. I think the problem may be people not sticking with it. And I think a LOT of that may be due to the bad taste left in the mouths of new volunteers when joining a new project. 9 times out of 10, the admins have no clue about how to run a project, and are just bad with the communication. They are focusing on the science after-all, and tend to be scientists, not admins or programmers. But the new volunteer, excited about the science idea, quickly gets pissed off at the lack of communication, the failing tasks, and just bails on the whole concept of DC/BOINC.

Subject: [boinc_projects] declining volunteer population
    Date: February 16, 2013 4:27:46 PM PST
    To: Boinc Projects <boinc_projects@ssl.berkeley.edu>

The BOINC volunteer population began to decrease in early January,
    and is now down by about 8,000:
    http://boincstats.com/en/charts/-1/p...tive/chart.png

Let's try to reverse this trend.
    There are a number of things you - BOINC-based projects - can do:

- Try to get in the media (as GIMPS did recently).
    Ask your institution's publicity office for help doing this.

- Use BOINC's mechanisms for automatically emailing lapsed and failed users:
    http://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/...Reminderemails

- Send periodic email newsletters:
    http://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/...asedmechanisms

- Post news items on your web site, and export some of them as Notices
    (so that they appear in your users' BOINC Managers).

If you have questions or problems doing any of these things,
    please post to this email list.
    And let us know if you have other ideas or experiences in this area.

-- David
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Re: declining volunteer population

That sound like the sort of thing these projects need to be made aware of. Volunteers are not abstract constructs but human beings with various expectations of what they get in return for their efforts.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

There is a change of mood that slowly is parking in our heads and hearts, I don't know the real reason maybe is due to our way of life or to the financial crisis or even maybe because we are living a new cycle according to The Mayan or maybe is because we have been seen so many natural disasters lately from hurricanes to tsunamis. I had already posted on the "Mayan Doomsday Countdown" about this change of mood.

It is very different to ear about a guy that dies in Africa for lack of food or someone that was in Sumatra during a tsunami and live the trauma of a natural or financial disaster that drowns one person or takes out the food from someone that we know even if not so closely

There is a general change of mood that makes people more introspective and more aggressive (and selfish). I am very aware of that because I am always searching for signs of people moods and I have friends everywhere. The studies on the internet searches (that we all make) should show exactly that. The words should be changing very fast.

But well, I know some of you think I am crazy and maybe I am. There are a lot of other more logic reasons on the human way of thinking that I can talk about either.

Things are changing on a human level for a big amount of reasons. That goes from the financial crisis to our way of life. Things seem random but they are not. When we make of our model of life to be an aggressive entrepreneur that deals with finances and has a profile that is not so different from a serial killer, there is in fact something very wrong with us.

The main top model of life that goes from politicians to the top entrepreneurs that we let take the power are top models to be in jail and to be model prisoners but there are more much more, we live in different worlds and we can be neighbors, some struggle to survive and others have too many. I am on the lucky part of the world but well this is just a thought and maybe I am wrong, the future will tell, I hope I am wrong.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Friend of SETI.USA

Some of the Decline could be as people realize how hard it is to get in the Upper Echelons of Contributors they become Discouraged & drop out. The thing is with the progression of Technology & if they would stick with it their day might come or they might get in a position to reach the Top Tiers in BOINC. Look at me, I stuck with it & slowly built up my Pharm, for 3-4 Years I was stuck in the 50-100 Rankings. Then the Video Cards became relevant & I was 1 of the 1'st once to jump all over them & blew by everybody. For the last ? Years I've lead the pack but am about to lose that position in maybe 30 days or less. I don't care anymore though, I've finally realized there's more to BOINC than being #1.

I knew that all along & did run as many Projects as I could but slowly became disheartened as my Q6600's became also ran's compared to the newer CPU's. I was debating whether to just drop out or do something about it. Well with my new & improved Pharm I have new interest in the CPU Projects & don't really care about the GPU Projects that much at all. If people would just enjoy the CPU Projects more & not worry about how much Credit they put out each day I think they would enjoy BOINC more. But all you see at BOINC Stats is posting in the shout box on how much credit they put out each day or how much they've moved up the Ranks.

Hell I've got about 400 Hr's in at the SLinCA@Home Project trying to Improve my WUProp Badge but haven't gained a single Credit yet at the Project during those 400 Hr's. I don't care though & will continue to run the Project to help improve My WUProp Badge. That's what people need to do, find something in BOINC beside trying to increase their Daily Credit which becomes quit boring after awhile if that's all your in BOINC for ... IMO
    Last edited by STE\/E; 02-19-13 at 12:49 AM.

Administrator
    +1

Administrator

I totally agree with Steve! While I was never a "big" gun I could throw up pretty good credits when I was running GPUs. The problem was trying to keep them running remotely while we went south for the winter. It was extremely frustrating for me and the only support I had was a neighbor that was good enough to reboot the machines when I asked. Things that could be fixed in minutes by someone with a little computer savvy would have to wait for weeks or months till I returned home to get rectified.

Since I have been running basically only CPU life is so much simpler. You can still have a ball and get just as much enjoyment out of it ... all you have to do is adjust your targets and goals. Instead of shooting for 250M in a project you can set a goal of 1M (or less) and when you achieve that then move on to the next one. The 1st thing I used to do when I got up and right before bed was look at my BOINC total credits and daily credits. Now I NEVER look at the combined total because for all intents and purposes it doesn't change because of the small daily credits I produce. Now I only check how close I'm getting to my next goal and I'm very content with that. I'm having as much fun as I ever had. A side benefit is that my power bill has dropped by over 50%

Friend of SETI.USA

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Now I NEVER look at the combined total because for all intents and purposes it doesn't change because of the small daily credits I produce. Now I only check how close I'm getting to my next goal and I'm very content with that. I'm having as much fun as I ever had. A side benefit is that my power bill has dropped by over 50%
    Ditto, I never look at my Total Credit anymore either, I just look at the Projects I'm running to see where I'm at on them ... Don't really have to look at my Total Credit as it's in my Signature but doesn't tell me what I do from day to day, not concerned with that anymore, just having fun going after different or higher Badges ...

Silver Member

Another reason for the decline could be costs. My electric rates have gone up 40% in the last three years. I can no longer afford to run all of my machines. I'm down to running 2 of 7 while letting the other 5 sit for now. If there's no chance that they will be used again then I will put them up for sale. If the costs continue to go up then I may be forced to discontinue my contributions.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by nanoprobe View Post
    Another reason for the decline could be costs. My electric rates have gone up 40% in the last three years. I can no longer afford to run all of my machines...
    That was one of the big things for me...along with other things in life of course, but the big GPUs take serious electricity and when you don't live in a very "electric cost friendly" area...

Silver Member

I have to agree on the costs being a factor. I got a energy usage report from the city that I use/consume 3X more power than my neighbors! So this does make me watch how much I use and trim the costs where possible. So I try to limit cores used and GPU loads.
    BOINC Sees it - BOINC DOES it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast