Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Re-applied thermal paste - computer won't start

Platinum Member

Re: Re-applied thermal paste - computer won't start

I doubt it's the PSU's fault. 8-pin connectors are rated (not limited) at 150W but if whatever they're plugged into tries to draw more than that, say 200W or 250W, then it will be delivered, overheating the wires. The more power connections you can plug in, the better as it will reduce the current between any individual connection and keep the heat down.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    I doubt it's the PSU's fault. 8-pin connectors are rated (not limited) at 150W but if whatever they're plugged into tries to draw more than that, say 200W or 250W, then it will be delivered, overheating the wires. The more power connections you can plug in, the better as it will reduce the current between any individual connection and keep the heat down.
    And that's what that extra motherboard connector is for (PCI-e). I didn't want to bother to route something to it, but I guess I shot myself in the foot when I didn't and added a 2nd GPU. That's another thing I reconfigured. I used adapters for two of the GPU power connectors, but I put them both on the same GPU. Now I've got them split between the two with the PSU supplied 6-pin connectors also split between the 2. I'm using all the PATA-styple 4-pin connectors, now so I removed the PATA hard drive that I wasn't using.

Hopefully, I've got everything distributed correctly with good connections now and it will just work.

Wrapping it up now and getting ready for a power check.

EDIT: No such luck. The connector is just too loose. It didn't work correctly until I pulled the connector back to the tab lock. Pushing it all the way down doesn't work. I'm typing on it now, but for how long? If I put the cover on, will it stay running or will I need to take the cover off to adjust it again? I need to replace the connector if at all possible. The heat did too much damage to it.
    Last edited by trigggl; 03-16-13 at 12:09 PM.
    6r39 7r199

Gold Member

If you have an old dead psu with the same cable you can cut the old cable and splice it into your psu. Just make sure you solder and heat shrink the connections. If you don't have one I am sure someone around here has one they would be willing to send to you.

Do you need the regular 4 pin connector to the cpu power or is it a 8 pin connector?

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by c303a View Post
    If you have an old dead psu with the same cable you can cut the old cable and splice it into your psu. Just make sure you solder and heat shrink the connections. If you don't have one I am sure someone around here has one they would be willing to send to you.

Do you need the regular 4 pin connector to the cpu power or is it a 8 pin connector?
    It's the 8-pin. The box rebooted once today, but has been fairly consistant otherwise.

Now my Isuzu Rodeo is another matter. I've got 3 different leaks to fix and had to mail order 2 expensive parts today that I'll need to complete the repairs. It's seems like everything I own is determined to break.
    6r39 7r199

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    It's the 8-pin. The box rebooted once today, but has been fairly consistant otherwise.

Now my Isuzu Rodeo is another matter. I've got 3 different leaks to fix and had to mail order 2 expensive parts today that I'll need to complete the repairs. It's seems like everything I own is determined to break.
    Murphy's Law sucks!

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

I had a late 90's Isuzu Rodeo which came with heavy duty brush guards, hitches, and real 4WD. If yours is that old, that would explain why it is starting to break down. Everything with moving parts goes at some point - PSUs, water pumps, transmissions, knees....
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    I had a late 90's Isuzu Rodeo which came with heavy duty brush guards, hitches, and real 4WD. If yours is that old, that would explain why it is starting to break down. Everything with moving parts goes at some point - PSUs, water pumps, transmissions, knees....
    Well, it's a relatively new radiator that's leaking. One of the other leaks is the water pump, which is overdue to be replaced anyways. The 3rd is my power steering high pressure line. I won the Rodeo High Pressure power steering line lottery. The one for a '97 Rodeo with a 2.6L engine costs 4x more than any other for any other year or engine type. You can get a $35 aftermarket hose for any other year or engine. You can get $45 OEM for any other year or engine. Mine = (OEM only) $190

On the PSU front, I have the 1K PSU on my wife's computer that I can swap out with the one sitting idle I put in the Dell case. 550W should be enough for one GTX 465, right? If a 1k can't do a dual GTX 460, nothing can. Anyone have any ideas on the best way to clean the carbon off of the motherboard pins?
    6r39 7r199

Silver Member

Anyone have any ideas on the best way to clean the carbon off of the motherboard pins?
    Well, I use to use an X-Acto blade "carefully' for the heavy build-ups, and then a white eraser to polish the plating back up. But if you burnt it very bad you probably took the plating off, so it will start corroding again pretty fast anyway. AKA Burn city rematch!

You also might try a very small file to get into the connector, but they are hard to find sometimes.
    BOINC Sees it - BOINC DOES it!

Past Administrator

Well, it's a relatively new radiator that's leaking. One of the other leaks is the water pump, which is overdue to be replaced anyways. The 3rd is my power steering high pressure line. I won the Rodeo High Pressure power steering line lottery. The one for a '97 Rodeo with a 2.6L engine costs 4x more than any other for any other year or engine type. You can get a $35 aftermarket hose for any other year or engine. You can get $45 OEM for any other year or engine. Mine = (OEM only) $190

On the PSU front, I have the 1K PSU on my wife's computer that I can swap out with the one sitting idle I put in the Dell case. 550W should be enough for one GTX 465, right? If a 1k can't do a dual GTX 460, nothing can. Anyone have any ideas on the best way to clean the carbon off of the motherboard pins?
    I'm fairly sure you don't want to go this route but replacing the pins is the best option IMO. Short of that some form of carbon remover spray should work. i would suggest testing the spray on an old un-used MB or circuit board like a dead GPU. If the spray doesn't eat away at any of the components\circuit board on the guinea pig, it will be safe to use on the pins.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    I'm fairly sure you don't want to go this route but replacing the pins is the best option IMO. Short of that some form of carbon remover spray should work. i would suggest testing the spray on an old un-used MB or circuit board like a dead GPU. If the spray doesn't eat away at any of the components\circuit board on the guinea pig, it will be safe to use on the pins.
    How about brake cleaner? JK

A couple days ago, the system quit again. I decided it was time to give up on that Antec 650W that was in it and swap it out with a known good PSU. I left my wife's computer alone (because she was using it at the time) and decided to downsize back to one GTX 460 instead of the two. Then I robbed the Antec 550W PSU from the Dell case that's not currently in service. I'm not going to try to float 2 GPU's on this PSU.

I took the chance of just hooking it up and seeing if it would run. So far, so good. Moving PSU's around is hard enough when you're doing one. It would take all day if I tried to do 2. Getting tired of re-doing all the cable management. I highly recommend keeping large quantities of cable ties handy.

Hopefully, this is the conclusion to this issue.
    6r39 7r199

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123