Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu instruction

Friend of SETI.USA

Re: Ubuntu instruction

The DownArrow does nothing, at least by it's self anyway, using the Ctrl & Alt & Down Arrow Minimizes the BOINC Window though ... The - in the Upper Left Menu Minimizes FireFox & the Terminal where their still active but not showing, I'll try BOINC later but not now, have some Wu's at 3+ Hr's that I don't want to lose if it doesn't work for BOINC too ...

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    I had to run the BOINC .sh file early because you have the command mv boinc /etc/init.d/ before you get to the command with the v64bit... stuff.
    And there's some of the confusion. The "boinc" that you're moving to /etc/init.d is *not* the one that gets extracted from the boinc package. It's one I mentioned before wasn't included in what you posted. It's from the Dotsch/UX and it's 91 lines long. That's one of those bits I mentioned live in my setup folder that I pre-load into the BOINC folder prior to running the lnx.sh script you've been working through. It's not the boinc executable. That just plain won't work. mv that back. At least then you should have a working boinc install. I'm trying to get to the point I have a host I can single-step through this.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    And there's some of the confusion. The "boinc" that you're moving to /etc/init.d is *not* the one that gets extracted from the boinc package. It's one I mentioned before wasn't included in what you posted. It's from the Dotsch/UX and it's 91 lines long. That's one of those bits I mentioned live in my setup folder that I pre-load into the BOINC folder prior to running the lnx.sh script you've been working through. It's not the boinc executable. That just plain won't work. mv that back. At least then you should have a working boinc install. I'm trying to get to the point I have a host I can single-step through this.
    Hahahahahaha.... Duh@me. Well I do have a copy of Dotsch/UX so I could always try to dig out that file.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

Okay, went ahead and pilfered the boinc file from Dotsch/UX install. Also reinstalled Ubuntu for a fresh run at this.

I did notice that within the Dotsch/UX boinc file, some of the commands point to /home/boinc/BOINC rather then /home/BOINC. Will this still work or does that file need editing? Or is it just easier to move the BOINC folder to /home/boinc ????

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Okay, went ahead and pilfered the boinc file from Dotsch/UX install. Also reinstalled Ubuntu for a fresh run at this.

I did notice that within the Dotsch/UX boinc file, some of the commands point to /home/boinc/BOINC rather then /home/BOINC. Will this still work or does that file need editing? Or is it just easier to move the BOINC folder to /home/boinc ????
    "boinc" is the user that BOINC is installed as under a Dotsch/UX install. So replace that "home/boinc" with "home/username" for your install. So if you used the username "dilbert" it'd be "home/dilbert" (So it becomes "/home/dilbert/BOINC" in your case.)

Because of how that script gets run, you cannot use the "~/" shortcut to refer to the current users home directory. Once you have that script in the /etc/init.d folder, that's when you can run that

Code:
    sudo update-rc.d boinc defaults 90 01
    That will cause BOINC to be cleanly started and stopped during bootup and shutdown. One caveat though, GPU crunching doesn't work when started via the start-up scripting like that.

Past Administrator

1st, Thx Mumps for the help.

2nd, it almost worked Okay, starting over.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Friend of SETI.USA

Installed another Linux OS on another Box with Win 7 already installed but getting this:

poorboy@PBOYZTOY17L:~$ sudo apt-get install openssh-server+ gdebi+ libwxgtk2.8-0+ libXss1+ freeglut3+ gnome-applets+ cpufrequtils+ ia32-libs+
    [sudo] password for poorboy:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Package openssh-server is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source

Package cpufrequtils is not available, but is referred to by another package.

Package gdebi is not available, but is referred to by another package.

E: Package 'openssh-server' has no installation candidate
    E: Package 'gdebi' has no installation candidate
    E: Unable to locate package libwxgtk2.8-0
    E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libwxgtk2.8-0'
    E: Unable to locate package libXss1
    E: Unable to locate package freeglut3
    E: Unable to locate package gnome-applets
    E: Package 'cpufrequtils' has no installation candidate
    E: Unable to locate package ia32-libs
    poorboy@PBOYZTOY17L:~$

The Network is working cause I'm typing this from Linux from that Box ... BOINC won't start either: Probably because of this: error while loading shared libraries: libwx_gtk2u_html-2.8.so.0

poorboy@PBOYZTOY17L:~$ ~/BOINC/run_manager
    ./boincmgr: error while loading shared libraries: libwx_gtk2u_html-2.8.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    poorboy@PBOYZTOY17L:~$

EDIT: Figured out what was wrong, I got a message saying I only had 127mb of disk space left while in Linux so I figure I must not have given it enough disk space. Thought I did but guess not, anywho rather than have a messed up drive I wiped it clean and deleted all the Partitions. It's only a 80gb Drive so I'll just make it a Linux Only Drive & Box for now. I can always throw another Drive in it later if I want to & install Windows again ...
    Last edited by STE\/E; 02-25-13 at 07:55 AM.

Diamond Member

If you are tight on disk space, this will help a little bit:

sudo apt-get remove libreoffice*
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    If you are tight on disk space, this will help a little bit:

sudo apt-get remove libreoffice*
    Yup. Been there. Do that by rote as well.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    Yup. Been there. Do that by rote as well.
    I tried that with OpenOffice and on reboot lost my desktop.....

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast