Thread: WUProp: Badge chasing tips

Diamond Member

WUProp: Badge chasing tips

I'll start this off.

The badge system at WUProp is all about counting hours against individual apps. Not hours against projects. So, how to maximize effort?

1) Make sure you are crunching all apps. Many folks have probably dis-selected certain sub-project apps to ensure their time was against the pest pay sub-project app. Or to ensure they crunched only the GPU app. So make sure you are crunching all apps. Or at least those you are still trying to accrue hours against.

2) With #1 in mind, dis-select sub-projects where you have already achieved your goal.

3) Okay, but what if a project has a CPU and a GPU app? Do they count differently*? It is all about the name of the app. If the name of the app is different for CPU/GPU, then they count as different. If they use the same name, then they count the same.
    - if they count differently, then you want to run both.
    - if they count the same, then you should probably run them on only your (slower) CPU. Remember, it is all about time spent. You will spend way more time on a CPU than a GPU per task. And that will free up your GPUs to work on other stuff.

4) If your priority is star count, over star color, then be sure to understand which projects have multiple apps. Here is what I suggest people use to decipher the app count at each project: http://wuprop.boinc-af.org/active_projects.py . It will show clearly how WUProp counts and distinguishes the apps. And in the end, that is what really matters for their badge scheme.

*To see if the apps count differently, look at the apps page for the project. For example:
    - A project that counts CPU/GPU the same: Collatz
    - A project that counts CPU/GPU differently: POEM

Take note: Collatz has the same app for CPU/GPU. But they have two different apps for long and short tasks.
    Last edited by zombie67; 02-22-13 at 07:16 PM.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Re: WUProp: Badge chasing tips

Well writen, and I had a feeling the moment I saw the way WUprop was doing badges, you would be killing it.

Diamond Member

Re: WUProp: Badge chasing tips

Quote Originally Posted by denim View Post
    Well writen, and I had a feeling the moment I saw the way WUprop was doing badges, you would be killing it.
    Don't kill me I am not so well ... ... LOL
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever