Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Intel Haswell performance

Past Administrator

Upcoming Intel Haswell performance

http://m.tomshardware.com/reviews/co...ance,3461.html

JPM, F$, etc...what's your take?

Edit: now that I read the whole article, looks like Zombie picked the right choice. 6 core SB-e blows it out of the water for anything that resembles crunching. Other than that, a fairly incremental upgrade to IB quad core, on the x86 front. The GPU has considerable improvement though - wonder at what point you could crunch on the built in GPU? It is going to be Open CL 1.2 ...
    Last edited by DrPop; 03-19-13 at 02:10 AM.

Friend of SETI.USA

Re: Upcoming Intel Haswell performance

I sure hope the i7-4770K will be available in a High End Laptop like Sager, I've been holding off getting a new one to see if the 4770K will be available ... I don't regret going with the 3770K either when I rebuilt the Pharm a few Month's ago, for the Price $244 Out the Door I couldn't beat it, sure the Haswell 4770K will out run the 3770K but the Wattage is higher too & probably would have cost me a lot more to buy ... IMO
    Last edited by STE\/E; 03-19-13 at 09:43 AM.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    The GPU has considerable improvement though - wonder at what point you could crunch on the built in GPU? It is going to be Open CL 1.2 ...
    You can crunch on the IB GPU (HD 4000) now. We just need projects with the upgraded server and an app that supports it.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    You can crunch on the IB GPU (HD 4000) now. We just need projects with the upgraded server and an app that supports it.
    I guess the real question is if the excess heat generated by this would even be worth it. My guess is probably not . . .it just galls me the space they use for the GPU on these things could have given us another 2 cores! I know, I know...that's what SB-E is, but still...what a waste of die space for crunchers. ;-)

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    OpenCL 1.1 is all you need. Haswell GPU will support OpenCL 1.2.

@DrPop: Yes, now that you read the whole article, i have 1 word for you: meh. It'll be 5 years before anyone optimzes their code for AVX2. In fact, PG is the only project i'm aware of that even bothered to optimize for AVX1, and it's sporadic at that. I'll still get a 4770K, but only 1. IB-E is where i'm looking now. Hopefully their motherboards will catch my eye more than SB-E's did.

The good news about Haswell is that socket 1150 has the same heatsink mounting hole spacing that socket 1155 and 1156 have, so no need to purchase a new aftermarket CPU cooler.

Past Administrator

Sorry DP, Been super busy & distracted the few days. Bad combo....

The thing to note about APU type configs, watercooling using most any AIO unit with 120x240/140x280 rads will suffice. The Swiftech H220 will have zero issues even after adding a discrete GPU to the loop.

@JPM: So true on the Dev front.....

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

So basically you think we could crunch on the built-in GPU as long as water cooled, and not affect the CPU output (heat related issues)? Maybe so. The question in my mind is, would the embedded GPU give equal points to 2 more CPU cores? I don't know.

This whole thing of a GPU built-in to the CPU seems very strange to me, UNLESS the goal is homogenization down the road in the operating system and applications. For example, Photoshop now has calls built-in where if it detects a certain capability of GPU, it will offload instructions from the CPU to the GPU. Now, considering these built-in GPUs have OpenCL, if Photoshop, Windows, Linux O/See, etc., if they can use it to save CPU cycles automatically, then cool. If not, then the high end users are being shafted for more low end appeal of an all in one chip.

I suppose they would tell us we are the target market for SB-e and XEON...I just hope my budget is that high or better someday!

Administrator

I thought Intel was working on an 8 core type processor (not Xeon). Am I mistaken?

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I thought Intel was working on an 8 core type processor (not Xeon). Am I mistaken?
    I sure hope they are, it would serve our crunching purposes a lot nicer than this stuff. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if they made you buy into the considerably more expensive SB-e or upcoming IB-e platform to get the more cores...

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Yes the 3980X 8-core SB-E should be out sometime in Q2 (by June 30th). No exact date was given. IB-E will be out in Q4, however there's a small chance Intel may skip IB-E and go directly to Haswell-E. Small, small chance. SB-E and IB-E can both use the same motherboard and socket, but Haswell-E will need a new motherboard even though it's still socket 2011 because the X79 chipset won't support it. Gonna need X99. Haswell-E is also supposed to support quad-channel DDR4,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast