Silver Member

Re: Inexpensive daily use, laptop selection

I hope the machine works out for you!
    BOINC Sees it - BOINC DOES it!

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kmanley57 View Post
    I hope the machine works out for you!
    It shipped in one day!! Newegg is crazy fast and that is why I keep shopping with them. I am sure it will, not super worried about the dual GPU deal as I still landed a stout CPU. I will open it up tonight as soon as I get all work emails caught up.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by denim View Post
    It shipped in one day!! Newegg is crazy fast and that is why I keep shopping with them. I am sure it will, not super worried about the dual GPU deal as I still landed a stout CPU. I will open it up tonight as soon as I get all work emails caught up.
    I am following this discussion with most interest, I have been kind of lurking but I think this kind of information exchange is quite good for future use, Congratulations denim and to all others that contributed to make this posts very interesting. We should do this more often.

Have a nice and long use of your new computer denim.

Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Damn it.... Sorry about the mix up.

The models

lenovo IdeaPad Z585 (59345759) w/A10 APU - no discrete GPU ---> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834310645
    lenovo IdeaPad Z585 (59363062) w/A8 APU - w/Discrete GPU ---> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834312434

So the unit you ordered doesn't have 2nd GPU but will have longer run time before recharge. I do not know, in BOINC terms, which APU crunches CPU work better.
    No worries, I know I got a great machine. If I give up a little GPU power for more CPU power, it's ok. Just wanted one of the best options that matched my needs and would help the team the best. I am sure, we found something quite good. Thank you again.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Buckingham View Post
    I am following this discussion with most interest, I have been kind of lurking but I think this kind of information exchange is quite good for future use, Congratulations denim and to all others that contributed to make this posts very interesting. We should do this more often.

Have a nice and long use of your new computer denim.

Platinum Member

It didn't even cross my mind before when you were asking about which brands were good, but i also would've given Lenovo a thumbs up if i had thought of it (and Toshiba as well) So, yes, good choice

Platinum Member

Thanks John, adds one more positive bit of support on the choice. This is my first personal Lenovo product. What is very cool about a topic like this is the team pulls together, because the best choice for one, is the best choice for all (Team). I hope to have it on line and crunching tonight. Excited. So far, it is a very attractive machine and seems to be just the right size, this will be my daily buddy.

Platinum Member

Now that I have this little guy crunching finally, (thank you again to all the help choosing) where would everyone feel is the best place to focus the little GPU?

Choices are limited to:

• PG
    • MW
    • Moo
    • Einstein
    • SETI

I have most of my GPU work on PG, but the other AMD GPU I have is doing mostly Moo. I have no chance of catching anyone in MW/Moo/Einstein/SETI so I have favored PG for that reason, but was not sure if it was more efficient for the team to keep on PG or put this little GPU on Moo or MW etc.

Past Administrator

Ooooooh, Slicker is gona be real mad.... You forgot about Collatz I haven't verified this but it looks to me like the new Collatz app, "Solo_Collatz", gives better credits then its cousins. Although that may be limited to CUDA cards. Maybe give it a run then compare. IIRC Collatz also runs cooler then other projects which would be a plus for any IGP/APU crunching.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345