Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7xxx cards.

Friend of SETI.USA

Re: 7xxx cards.

Yeah, I'm down to 1/2 7970 running @ 50% GPU Load, that's the best it'll do now, had to shut the 7870 & the other 7970 down, taking way to long to run the Wu's. Will probably have to shut this one down too & that will be it for me on Moo. I'm simply not going to bang my head against the wall trying to get these projects to run on the GPU's, BOINC just not worth it any more to me if I have to do that ...

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    Neither one of the 7970 MSI Cards I have will run the Moo Wu's now, one of the was running them for over a week then started messing up, so I tried the other one but it wouldn't run them either. I have a 7870 that's running them okay now after I fiddled with it & a different brand 7970 running them okay too after fiddling with it, don't know how long either will run them though. As I'm posting this though I notice the 7970 taking longer to run than it has been running the Wu's so I'll have to go look at that one again & see if it's okay.

The problem isn't that they won't run the Wu's but that they keep downclocking themselve's and take forever to run them. Up to 7 Hr's I seen a few of the Wu's, I'm going to try another 7970 Card, different brand than MSI & see if it'll run the Wu's ...
    Well that just sucks! You finally find a project that pulls all those pretty gpus out of retirement and it stalls on you. Fire$torm where are you? Since they have been working just fine, it sounds like your got a bad grouping of wus. I'd abort what you have and hope for some that will work. What are you, 40k from your goal? Sorry it has to happen now, but keep the faith.

Friend of SETI.USA

More like 42 Million, I've aborted the Wu's several times but it does no good, I'm going to run just the lone 7970 for now even if it runs them slower than it should, I'm out of idea's for now ...

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    ^%$#@@#$%^&*(*&^%$^&* .... The freaking 7970 & 7870 Card's are acting up on the Moo Wu's, they seemed to run alright for almost 2 weeks but now get hung up on 69% Completion, I've tried everything to get them to run right, under volting, down clocking core & memory, rebooting but they keep messing up after a bit ... )(*&^%$#$%^&*(*&^%&*(
    Don't you have any nvidia cards? Use those instead.

Or if you don't have any, set up a trade. Someone else crunches moo for you, and you crunch MW (or whatever) for the other guy.

Save yourself the stress.

FWIW, I would trade you, but my nVidia cards are busy right now.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by conf View Post
    Moo runs on no one of my AtiCards, 7970,7950,6950 or 5870. WUs can be downloaded but they would never start.
    The only possibility I have is to run Moo as the one and only GPU Project, add a second one and the project is dead.
    Well I don't have any 79xx cards but the 5 ATIs I do have run Moo just fine. (Free-DC)

Nexus: 5830 / CAT 13.4 / BOINC 7.0.31
    Odin: 5830 / CAT 13.9 / BOINC 7.0.64
    Blackie: 5870 / CAT 12.6 / BOINC 7.0.31
    Dark Matter: 5870 / CAT 12.6 / BOINC 7.0.31
    Trinity: 6970 / CAT 13.4 / BOINC 7.0.31

And all boxes except Nexus have nVidia GPUs running Collatz.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Friend of SETI.USA

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Don't you have any nvidia cards? Use those instead.

Or if you don't have any, set up a trade. Someone else crunches moo for you, and you crunch MW (or whatever) for the other guy.

Save yourself the stress.

FWIW, I would trade you, but my nVidia cards are busy right now.
    I asked before about trading work but nobody wanted to do something like that, the Nvidia cards are to slow too & don't pay very good, not sure but I may have a reason why the 7xxx Cards quite running or are running the Wu's so slow all of a sudden, will check it out & post about it it I'm right ...

If I'm not able to get them to run Moo anybody that wants to trade work Moo for ? let me know & we'll see what we can work out, I have to make sure the 7xxx cards will run anything before trading work ...
    Last edited by STE\/E; 01-17-14 at 02:52 AM.

Friend of SETI.USA

The 1 7970 I left running over night ran okay for 8+ Hr's, this morning when I got up I noticed Chess@home had work again so I downloaded more work from Chess & the 7970 Box started messing up again. I went out & ran all the Chess@home Wu's out on the 7970 Box then restarted BOINC & it appears to be running okay again. Why the Chess Wu's are messing up the Video card I have no Idea but if it stays running okay without running Chess as soon as I'm done with Chess I'll try the other Box's & see if they run okay ...

Friend of SETI.USA

Now that Chess@home is over for awhile at least I'm messing with the 7xxx Cards again on MooWrap, I have 2 Gigabyte 7970's & a TruePower 7870 running Stable right now but who knows how long that will last. I also have a GTX 580 running the Moo Wu's but will probably shut that down if the other ATI 7xxx Cards keep running Stable. It can only get about 100k a day so not really worth it unless it's a last ditch resource to get to 250 Million on Moo.

I have a MSI 7970 running too but it still is giving me fits, wants to drop to 50-60 % GPU load and run's the Wu's slower than the 7870 run's them, if it keeps messing up I'll just shut that one down. I thought it was Chess@home causing the problems but found out it wasn't that either. This morning when I fired the ATI back up I gave the 2 Gigabyte 7970's 2 of the 8 Threads instead of 1 & that seems to be working so far on the those 2 Cards, the 7870 seems to be alright with just 1 of the 8 Thread's. Keeping my fingers crossed & hope this works ...
    Last edited by STE\/E; 01-18-14 at 09:31 AM.

Friend of SETI.USA

I set the Ave & Max CPU Usage to .5 on one of the 7970's & it ran okay like that for a couple Hr's so I set the other ATI Box's to the same, it gets me 4 Threads back, not sure about the run times, if anything it might be a hair slower but will have to wait for more Wu's done to tell for sure ...

Friend of SETI.USA

Well the 7xxx Cards all ran okay so far for the last 24 Hr's or so using just 1 Thread. I had to go back to 2 Threads on the MSI 7979 Card cause it wouldn't run Stable on 1 Thread, kept dropping back to 50% or so GPU Usage on 1 Thread but seems okay with 2 Thread's. The GTX 580 has been messing up for the last 6-7 Hr's though or at least I think it has anyway. It was running the Wu's in less than 20 Min's but then started taking over 1 hr. I installed the latest NVIDIA Drivers & the latest BOINC Client but it still want's to run a lot slower than it was running MSI Afterburner say's it's using 98& GPU Usage though. I haven't let one finish so I don't know if they will Validate for more Credit or get the usual 20% Credit the ATI Cards get. I was going to shut the 580 down anyway but will let it finish this GPU Wu & see about the Credit. I'll just fire up another 7970 this afternoon to more than make up for the 580 running so slow ...

EDIT: I guess the 580 is okay, it's taking about 4 Times as long to run the Moo GPU Wu's but it's getting about 4 times the Credit too so I got Excited about nothing on the 580 ... ... I need a spare Cheap yet fairly productive NVIDIA Card so I'm thinking about a GTX 660, can get one of those for under $200, a 670 cost over $300 & I don't want to spend that much on a card ...
    Last edited by STE\/E; 01-19-14 at 10:24 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast