Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: News: Microsoft Could Be Obsolete By 2017

Platinum Member

Re: News: Microsoft Could Be Obsolete By 2017

More M$ underhandedness...

If you're using Win7 or 8.1, beware of a certain security update. KB3139929 is the one to look out for. It is labeled as a regular secuiry fix for Winblows, but it comes piggybacked with KB3146449 which is adware for M$ itself. You cannot delete the adware without also deleting the security update.

KB3146449 installs itself into IE so when you open it, you get reminded yet again how much Win10 needs to be avoided lol..i do not use IE, but for shits and giggles i opened IE just to see if M$ got me and they certainly have

Silver Member

I'm totally glad I uninstalled IE from my systems. I did have to re-install it twice when I had a problem with firefox, uninstalled it, and then realized I deleted the original download after the first install. I will be putting 10 back on my systems within another month or so. Like last time, it will be on it's own drive and kept FAR FAR away from my other hard drives. Maybe one day they will "fix" 10 so my "illegal" stuff won't come back to bite me or just disappear without a trace.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shandia View Post
    I'm totally glad I uninstalled IE from my systems. I did have to re-install it twice when I had a problem with firefox, uninstalled it, and then realized I deleted the original download after the first install. I will be putting 10 back on my systems within another month or so. Like last time, it will be on it's own drive and kept FAR FAR away from my other hard drives. Maybe one day they will "fix" 10 so my "illegal" stuff won't come back to bite me or just disappear without a trace.
    NO NO>>>>>we never use illegal things, we just borrow things we don't pay for. And we all know that when we are done with it we will return it by deleting it and wiping the drive.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Platinum Member

Microsoft has lost over $8 Billion on failed Nokia deal

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/25/11...uisition-costs

Administrator

On a similar note, the emerging generation of Intel processors (I7-69XX) will be last processors supported by Win7. Supposedly MS had to spend a lot of money making Win7 work with the newest processors. So after this generation you will have no choice but to run Win10 or whatever if you do a new build.

This info was on Tom's Hardware.

Administrator

I became a huge MS fan after my failed courting with OS/2 Warp. Over the past 20 years, I've become slowly disenchanted with MS considering that I've had to drop $200 every few years for a new OS; this past year, I was ticked off that I had to pay $10 a month for MS Office. I just recently dumped my Office subscription and went with Apache OpenOffice which, so far, works well for my needs.

Now, I'm considering going to Linux. Considering MS is going to be charging Enterprise users a monthly fee, it's only a matter of time before they start charging a monthly fee for home use.

Frankly, I'm not happy about either option.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post
    I became a huge MS fan after my failed courting with OS/2 Warp. Over the past 20 years, I've become slowly disenchanted with MS considering that I've had to drop $200 every few years for a new OS; this past year, I was ticked off that I had to pay $10 a month for MS Office. I just recently dumped my Office subscription and went with Apache OpenOffice which, so far, works well for my needs.

Now, I'm considering going to Linux. Considering MS is going to be charging Enterprise users a monthly fee, it's only a matter of time before they start charging a monthly fee for home use.

Frankly, I'm not happy about either option.
    Add to that their new horrendous update policy and their "collusion" with Intel and AMD that will not allow the next version of their chips to run on 7 or 8 it's middle finger time AFAIC. I switched after they tried their forced update of my 7 machines to 10. IMHO 10 is nothing but glorified spyware disguised as an OS and I will not use it under any circumstances.
    Linux does have a learning curve because it was designed as a server and not a desktop OS. Can't be beat for dedicated DC machines. Many apps run faster, especially the ones that use vina, like WCG Ebola and Zika. 30-40% faster for those 2.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by nanoprobe View Post
    Add to that their new horrendous update policy and their "collusion" with Intel and AMD that will not allow the next version of their chips to run on 7 or 8 it's middle finger time AFAIC. I switched after they tried their forced update of my 7 machines to 10. IMHO 10 is nothing but glorified spyware disguised as an OS and I will not use it under any circumstances.
    Linux does have a learning curve because it was designed as a server and not a desktop OS. Can't be beat for dedicated DC machines. Many apps run faster, especially the ones that use vina, like WCG Ebola and Zika. 30-40% faster for those 2.
    I happened to catch their update to 10 on my laptop and was able to cancel it... I turned off the updates on all my rigs. I also keep a backup image for my main system just in case.

I tried Linux about 5 years ago and couldn't make heads or tails of it; although, I am considering setting up my main rig with a dual boot to install Linux's Zorin OS which I've read makes things easier switching from Windows 7. That way I can learn Linux and still run Windows 7 if I need too; however, that probably won't be till after the first of the year.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post
    I happened to catch their update to 10 on my laptop and was able to cancel it... I turned off the updates on all my rigs. I also keep a backup image for my main system just in case.

I tried Linux about 5 years ago and couldn't make heads or tails of it; although, I am considering setting up my main rig with a dual boot to install Linux's Zorin OS which I've read makes things easier switching from Windows 7. That way I can learn Linux and still run Windows 7 if I need too; however, that probably won't be till after the first of the year.

Instead of dual booting, you could just run Linux in VirtualBox, that way yo would not have to worry about adjusting/adding partitions and such. Side note, you should give Linux Mint a try.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Instead of dual booting, you could just run Linux in VirtualBox, that way yo would not have to worry about adjusting/adding partitions and such. Side note, you should give Linux Mint a try.
    Thanks. I will give that a try.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast