Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using Multiple GPU's

Platinum Member

Using Multiple GPU's

Having a brain fart. Finally got my big box up and running after spending more than 20 hours this weekend screwing with it. Hint, don't trust a HD that tests good, but looks like it has Alzthheimers. got BOINC going, but system is only using 1 of the GPU's. where is the setting to use multiple? Can't seem to find it.

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

Silver Member

Re: Using Multiple GPS's

cc_config.xml:

<use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>

Link to guide:

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Clien...ration#Options
    Last edited by kmanley57; 04-08-13 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Added link to guide for cc_config
    BOINC Sees it - BOINC DOES it!

Platinum Member

Re: Using Multiple GPU's

Haven't done this in a while. Here is what I put in there, but it doesn't accept it.

<cc_config>
    </cc_config>

Any clues to fix it?

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybob View Post
    Haven't done this in a while. Here is what I put in there, but it doesn't accept it.

<cc_config>
    </cc_config>

Any clues to fix it?
    Should be:

<cc_config>
    <options>
    </options>
    </cc_config>

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Should be:

<cc_config>
    <options>
    </options>
    </cc_config>
    Thanks John! I'll try this out at lunch time.

Platinum Member

All good now. Thanks again!

krazy k

I might be having the same problem. I ended up with two nvidia gpus in a system and can't get the second gpu online.

I miss my 6.10.60 version boinc that has the messages tab because that way you can at least see that it doesn't recognize your gpu, but I digress.

Here's what I've done. New install win 7 x86, boinc 7.0.28, nvidia drivers 314.22(installed after both cards were powered up). I have the cc_config copied from my other machine that has two cards running so I know that isn't the issue. I have a dvi-vga adapter with the resistors in it, windows is running two displays, actually three, so one of the outputs on the second card has to be active.

I don't think that I've ever run 32bit win7 so maybe there is a caveat somewhere that I am unaware of, but any help to get this online will help.

Thanks.

Platinum Member

You can still open the messages, by going to one of the tabs on top and clicking on event log. That should show you the message that one gpu is being used and the other not. Also, you can DL GPU-Z to show you whether both your cards are being recognized. Since you are already running a CC_Config file, just make sure you put it in the directory with the Projects in it. If you have a new install of WIN7, you will need to have the view hidden files and folders checked off. Go to My Computer, Tools, Folder options and then the view tab. You can then see the Program Data directory where the BOINC directory is located. If that isn't the case, go to the project site for the one you are running and look under the project preferences under your account to see if they have the option there to use multiple GPU's. Just some suggestions here. Hope one of them helps.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by krazy k View Post
    I have a dvi-vga adapter with the resistors in it, windows is running two displays, actually three, so one of the outputs on the second card has to be active.

NVidia cards really do not need the termination load to work, just ATI/AMD. I was running a dual NVidia card machine up to a month ago when I fried the Primary GPU card, and all I had hooked up was the one monitor to see what Windows did. That and to set all the no-sleep and use this monitor/card messages I needed to set. YMMV
    BOINC Sees it - BOINC DOES it!

krazy k

The config file is in the C:\ProgramData\BOINC directory, just as it is on my other machine. The the projects folder is in there as well, so I don't think that that is the issue. I wouldn't think it's the sleeping issue since one card is running and one isn't. I'll try that though. One gpu is using 61% of a core so two would consume all of one and part of the second core. Is there something that won't allow you to use over half of the cores?

Edit: Never sleep. Never display off. No dice.
    Last edited by krazy k; 04-11-13 at 10:50 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast