Thread: BURP: Payday

Diamond Member

BURP: Payday

http://burp.renderfarming.net/forum_thread.php?id=2101

A while ago BOINC changed the credit granting algorithm from the original BOINC credit algorithm to CreditNew. CreditNew has a fairly complex way of calculating just how much credit should be granted for every workunit. It also has the unfortunate assumption that either the workunit workload is known in advance OR said workload does not change too much from workunit to workunit, across applications and so on.
    BURP has crazy freakout monster workunits intermixed with tiny workunits - and even uses the same application for those WUs. We have almost no clue how long a workunit will take until it has been rendered, even within a single session the workunits may be different in length by several orders of magnitude.
    At first it was assumed that CreditNew would eventually settle. However, over time, it has become increasingly clear that CreditNew does not perform well for the kind of workload, applications and situation we have here at BURP - in fact the credit system has become the target of much ridicule and confusion.

Payday:

"Payday" is a development subproject of BURP. The main objective is to retroactively perform a correction on all granted credit since the introduction of CreditNew and subsequently replace or accompany CreditNew as the main credit granting algorithm for BURP. Secondary objectives are to make it way simpler to understand than CreditNew, make it credit-stable both in short-term and long-term measurements and at the same time make it fairly transparent to the community what is going on.

It will never be perfect, but it will very likely become a bit better than CreditNew.

The basic way that credit will be calculated with Payday is this:
    Amount of work done per hour * hours it took * cobblestone factor = your credit
    Oldschool BOINCers will find this very similar to the original credit system - and this is no coincidence since that system served as inspiration for Payday.

Payday, as stated above, is still under development, but a large part of the algorithm framework is already in beta testing at the moment.

[Example provided in the thread]
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Re: BURP: Payday

Now that is cool. Great solution. Hope other projects pick up on their idea.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Hell of a delay in finding this thread, but holy hell am i glad to hear about this. It was so bad i saved an example WU i was quite upset about...

Workunit: 1776233
    Created: 24 Oct 2012 | 0:44:40 UTC
    Sent: 24 Oct 2012 | 1:12:19 UTC
    Received: 27 Oct 2012 | 21:10:33 UTC
    Server state: Over
    Outcome: Success
    Client state: Done
    Exit status: 0 (0x0)
    Computer ID: 51505
    Report deadline: 18 Dec 2012 | 0:05:39 UTC
    Run time: 295,918.32
    CPU time: 547,745.17
    Validate state: Valid
    Credit: 203.63
    Are you F@#&ing kidding me!
    Application version: SunflowerBlender v4.81 (mt)

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Hell of a delay in finding this thread, but holy hell am i glad to hear about this. It was so bad i saved an example WU i was quite upset about...

Let us party
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post

Woot! Finally got credit today for this WU from nearly 1.5 years ago :/ Almost tripled my BURP credits, which weren't all that many really, but still. It was because of this WU that i refused to crunch BURP anymore. The best news is CreditNew is being tossed and their far more accurate Payday system is being put in place.

Diamond Member

I am not sure it is due to Pay Day. I got something similar, several times over the past several days:

I posted in their forum earlier today asking for information about what is going on.

Platinum Member

Janus is running Payday over completed WUs as we speak. He posted about it here in the original thread: http://burp.renderfarming.net/forum_thread.php?id=2101

Diamond Member

Ah! I missed that. Cool!