Thread: Maximal tolerable runtime of workunits with checkpointing?

-horn-

Maximal tolerable runtime of workunits with checkpointing?

Hi,

you can tell us here how long you prefer your workunit and we'll try to implement it into a next feature of TrackJack-app for www.aerospaceresearch.net/constellation

this could also help other projects to find adequate wu-runtimes .

Vote here http://www.twiigs.com/poll/Technology/Computers/67668 !

Andreas

BTW: did you delete some useraccounts dueto your forum-movement to free-dc? I couldn't login with my previous account and I don't find my previous Constellation thread.

Gold Member

Re: Maximal tolerable runtime of workunits with checkpointing?

Much of my farm is made up of old Pentium III and Pentium 4 computers that would have otherwise been thrown out, so I usually use them as my benchmarks. So long as the app has checkpointing every 5-10 minutes, a WU that runs 24 hours is about the maximum I will crunch unless the project returns partial credit for partially completed work. There is nothing worse than crunching for 4 days, be 99% complete, and then have the WU error out for some reason. When that happens, I'd like 99% of the credit and, if not, then keep the WUs short. Very short.

Many of the PrimeGrid sub project's workunits take 2-3 days on older machines. That's OK since they run well and checkpoint often. Same goes for AQUA (4-7 days per WU).

Note: The longer they run, the higher you have to increase the credit above normal to get people to crunch them. Why risk running a 7 day WU for 700 credits when I can run a project with 1 day WUs that pay 100 credits? I don't run into the project rejecting my work because I shared it with 2 other projects and missed their deadline. I don't run into long workunits erroring out for some reason and losing several days worth of credit. So, when everything is equal, I stick with the shorter ones. Pay more and the longer ones are worth it.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Platinum Member

Re: Maximal tolerable runtime of workunits with checkpointing?

Quote Originally Posted by -horn- View Post
    BTW: did you delete some useraccounts dueto your forum-movement to free-dc? I couldn't login with my previous account and I don't find my previous Constellation thread.
    With the move, we've started with a clean site. We're in the process of archiving all the posts from the old site, but they won't be editable.

Thanks for stopping by! And I'm in complete agreement with Slicker.