Thread: Collatz: ghost app_config.xml?

Diamond Member

Collatz: ghost app_config.xml?

I had an app_config.xml file set up for collatz (the application), so that I could run two tasks per GPU. I removed the file to go back to one per. But BOINC is still running 2 per. I tried "read config file". I tried quitting and restarting BOINC. I tried rebooting. I tried also deleting the collatz.config file. All with no luck. I would rather not have to reset the project, which will dork up 300+ tasks, and potentially make it so that I can't get any new work for 245 hours.

Any idea what's going on?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Re: Collatz: ghost app_config.xml?

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    I had an app_config.xml file set up for collatz (the application), so that I could run two tasks per GPU. I removed the file to go back to one per. But BOINC is still running 2 per. I tried "read config file". I tried quitting and restarting BOINC. I tried rebooting. I tried also deleting the collatz.config file. All with no luck. I would rather not have to reset the project, which will dork up 300+ tasks, and potentially make it so that I can't get any new work for 245 hours.

Any idea what's going on?
    Just a guess but maybe BOINC is seeing the file somewhere else in the folder tree? Or maybe the project needs a reset?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

You forgot to do the Witch Doctor Dance.

Who puts this stuff on Youtube? Better yet, who passes it on?
    Last edited by myshortpencil; 05-20-13 at 10:52 PM.

Gold Member

Once BOINC starts a WU, it stored the settings in one of its XML files in the BOINC (not the project folder). Stopping and restarting won't change the settings for the WUs in progress. So, if it started running two at a time, those two will continue at 0.5 GPUs until they are complete. As a side note, having both an app_config.xml and an app_info.xml doesn't seem to work. I think that is because the app_config uses the app name whereas app_info uses "anonymous" as the app name with a "local" name of the actual app name.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

{KWSN}Gemjunkie[TeaM]

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Once BOINC starts a WU, it stored the settings in one of its XML files in the BOINC (not the project folder). Stopping and restarting won't change the settings for the WUs in progress. So, if it started running two at a time, those two will continue at 0.5 GPUs until they are complete. As a side note, having both an app_config.xml and an app_info.xml doesn't seem to work. I think that is because the app_config uses the app name whereas app_info uses "anonymous" as the app name with a "local" name of the actual app name.
    Pure conjecture! Have you personally ever had the Witch Doctor dance fail?

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by myshortpencil View Post
    You forgot to do the Witch Doctor Dance.
    Or better yet, the African Anteater Ritual.

6r39 7r199

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by {KWSN}Gemjunkie[TeaM] View Post
    Pure conjecture! Have you personally ever had the Witch Doctor dance fail?
    Good one, Gemjunkie ROFLOL