Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collatz PSU Discussion

Gold Member

Collatz PSU Discussion

The Collatz server had a PSU fail on Sunday a.m. I replaced it Monday a.m. Some time Monday night the new one failed. The spare was an el cheapo I had on hand. So... the question is whether the second PSU failure was because it was cheap or whether it was due to the same reason the first one failed (e.g. something on the MB has failed and is drawing too much power for too long which kills it). I'm thinking is was just a junk PSU (fresh out of the wrapper but have had it lying around as a spare for so long that I can't return it). Obviously, I need a new one even if it is just to get the box running in order to move everything to a new server. On the other hand, I don't want to spend money on a new server if I don't have to. Thoughts? Comments?
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Past Administrator

Re: Collatz PSU Discussion

When my brother's rig had that big power failure, it blew out the PSU and the motherboard ($200+, not crap board), and the HDD. What I didn't realize was that it also blew out a built in USB connected card reader...and when he hooked that up to a new mobo and PSU, it wouldn't turn on due to a short.

Do you have anything else connected to the mobo that you can unplug when you test it with another PSU? Any USB devices or maybe SATA optical drive or anything that might have gotten power directly from the mobo or PSU that went down during the lightening strike?
    Last edited by DrPop; 05-23-13 at 01:43 AM.

Silver Member

When I lost a supply a couple months ago I also blew the video card in the machine. So you might have stressed some of the components and be looking at several causes for excess power draw.
    BOINC Sees it - BOINC DOES it!

Diamond Member

Slicker: I know running a server of any kind is expensive. And I know that Collatz is not a SETI.USA project, it is a Slicker project. But Slicker is a SETI.USA member. So I will put it out there: Would you accept donations? I scanned the Collatz front page, but didn't see a donations link. I would like to help out, and I am sure some of our fellow SETI.USA members would like to help too.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Slicker: I know running a server of any kind is expensive. And I know that Collatz is not a SETI.USA project, it is a Slicker project. But Slicker is a SETI.USA member. So I will put it out there: Would you accept donations? I scanned the Collatz front page, but didn't see a donations link. I would like to help out, and I am sure some of our fellow SETI.USA members would like to help too.
    The way I see it, Collatz is a hobby. I wouldn't expect you to donate towards my hunting expenses, so why would I expect donations for frakking? err.. I mean BOINCing. Collatz isn't my most expensive hobby. In fact, it probably ranks #4. So, while I appreciate the offer, I'd rather not accept donations.

back to the topic....

It must have been a loose connection somewhere. I pulled the server from the rack and it worked find. Put it back in and it has been running OK since yesterday as far as I can tell. But, I'll probably still pick up another spare PSU. Luckily the Collatz server uses a desktop sized case and a standard PSU.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    The way I see it, Collatz is a hobby. I wouldn't expect you to donate towards my hunting expenses, so why would I expect donations for frakking? err.. I mean BOINCing. Collatz isn't my most expensive hobby. In fact, it probably ranks #4. So, while I appreciate the offer, I'd rather not accept donations.

back to the topic....

It must have been a loose connection somewhere. I pulled the server from the rack and it worked find. Put it back in and it has been running OK since yesterday as far as I can tell. But, I'll probably still pick up another spare PSU. Luckily the Collatz server uses a desktop sized case and a standard PSU.
    That's good news Slicker. For the spare maybe consider saving up for a brand that has a low failure rate. JPM knows where to find info on that metric, if he is willing. So how about it JPM?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    That's good news Slicker. For the spare maybe consider saving up for a brand that has a low failure rate. JPM knows where to find info on that metric, if he is willing. So how about it JPM?
    Yes Don't get these:

Fail rate
    - 3.64% Corsair Gaming Series GS600
    - 3.59% Corsair CX500 V2
    - 3.59% Corsair CX600 V2
    - 3.39% FSP (Fortron) HEX 500
    - 3.31% Seasonic S12II-520

Edit: On the overall fail rate across all brands, Seasonic and Corsair were the worst 2:

- Corsair 2.18%
    - Seasonic 2.36%

Both of their fail rates across all models offered by each brand are better than 2.5% (which equates to only 1 in 40 failures), which is considered reasonable for a PSU.
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 05-24-13 at 04:18 PM.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Yes Don't get these:

Fail rate
    - 3.64% Corsair Gaming Series GS600
    - 3.59% Corsair CX500 V2
    - 3.59% Corsair CX600 V2
    - 3.39% FSP (Fortron) HEX 500
    - 3.31% Seasonic S12II-520

Edit: On the overall fail rate across all brands, Seasonic and Corsair were the worst 2:

- Corsair 2.18%
    - Seasonic 2.36%

Both of their fail rates across all models offered by each brand are better than 2.5% (which equates to only 1 in 40 failures), which is considered reasonable for a PSU.
    So, what's the timeframe on those failures rates again? If my replacement Seasonic has lasted 3 months already am I relatively safe?

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    So, what's the timeframe on those failures rates again? If my replacement Seasonic has lasted 3 months already am I relatively safe?
    The totals are from RMAs. As long as they are returned during the RMA period, they're counted. The reason for the RMA also matters. If someone RMAs a part because it doesn't fit or isn't compatible, then it's technically not broken and not counted. If the reason for the RMA makes it hard to determine for certain whether a part has failed, then it's tested by technicians. If it fails the tests, it's counted.

If you can still RMA your Seasonic, watch out!

Platinum Member

Also, stats info on brands require a minimum of 500 units sold.

Stats info on specific models require a minimum of 100 units sold.

However, since far more units are actually sold than the minimum requirements by whoever reports their stats to these guys (they don't name names), the reporting is much more accurate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast