Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quadro FX 3700 Crunchability

Gold Member

FX 3700 Crunchability -> GPU Needed

Any thoughts on this card (same G92 chip as 8800GT)? I am looking at an 8-core Xeon workstation that has two of these installed. I believe they are CUDA Compute level 1.1. Are these worth factoring in the purchase decision? Will they crunch any projects with any efficiency?

Thanks-
    Last edited by FourOh; 06-04-13 at 10:46 PM.

Past Administrator

Re: Quadro FX 3700 Crunchability

112 shader cores, and the 512MB RAM, works out to just over 500 GFLOPs - yes, they will crunch. Should give you output about 1/2 of what a GTX 560 would do. With Compute 1.1 you could crunch Collatz, DiRT, Einstein, SETI, and maybe a few others with them, so probably worth giving a try at using them if they come "included" already.

I would download MSI Afterburner and O/C the core MHZ to at least 600MHz to get it up to the 8800GT specs. Might even be able to go a little higher, but not sure. They have the Quadro detuned to 500MHz, so that it burns considerably less watts for the business workstations.

Past Administrator

How does the selling price on that particular Xeon workstation compare to similar equipment listed (without the cards) on say eBay or Craigslist?

I ask because refurbished GTX 460s (w/ 336 CUDA cores) sell for only a few dollars more then the FX 3700s. At least on eBay they do. A single 460 will out crunch x2 FX 3700 and use less power doing so.

Therefore if you do purchase that workstation, you may wish to consider actually selling those FX cards and buying a refurb 460. Of course that is a lot of horse trading to do. It would be simpler and possibly cheaper to acquire a bare bones Xeon workstation and refurb 460 separately.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    ... Therefore if you do purchase that workstation, you may wish to consider actually selling those FX cards and buying a refurb 460. Of course that is a lot of horse trading to do. It would be simpler and possibly cheaper to acquire a bare bones Xeon workstation and refurb 460 separately.
    I had a similar thought - why spend an extra $100-120 on a machine with GPUs I would want to replace? I passed on that deal, and I'm looking at another without a graphics card. If I land that one, I'll be looking for a good 460 (or two). Thanks FS & Dr Pop-

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by FourOh View Post
    I had a similar thought - why spend an extra $100-120 on a machine with GPUs I would want to replace? I passed on that deal, and I'm looking at another without a graphics card. If I land that one, I'll be looking for a good 460 (or two). Thanks FS & Dr Pop-
    Good idea. I wouldn't pay for those cards for crunching purposes - but if they were included "free" then not bad as a bonus.

What kind of XEONs are you looking for? Al and I got a pretty good deal on some...are you looking for server type or for a workstation only (in a regular computer case type)?

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Good idea. I wouldn't pay for those cards for crunching purposes - but if they were included "free" then not bad as a bonus.

What kind of XEONs are you looking for? Al and I got a pretty good deal on some...are you looking for server type or for a workstation only (in a regular computer case type)?
    I'm looking for a workstation type, dual-quad core with dual graphics capable mobo. Pretty flexible on the other specs. I've been looking at Dell T5400 and T7400s because either would blend in well at my office. I'm not crunching much at home right now due to the heat, but my office is a damn meat locker! I'll consider this workstation to be a 930 watt space heater.

Gold Member

Well, I saved $140 by passing on the 2x Xeon E5430 / 8Gb with dual FX 3700s and went with a 2x E5405 / 4Gb with no GPU. Now I just need to find a good GTX 460 (or HD 5850?) to complete this cruncher...
    Last edited by FourOh; 06-04-13 at 06:00 PM.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FourOh View Post
    Well, I saved $140 by passing on the 2x Xeon E5430 / 8Gb with dual FX 3700s and went with a 2x E5405 / 4Gb with no GPU. Now I just need to find a good GTX 460 (or HD 5850?) to complete this cruncher...
    Hmmm, what kind of RAM does that puppy take and do you have any free slots?

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    Hmmm, what kind of RAM does that puppy take and do you have any free slots?
    The Service Tag info suggests it originally had 4 2gb sticks, the vendor says it is configured with 4Gb. I'll find out for sure when it ships. Type is PC2-5300 240-PIN ECC REGISTERED.

http://www.dell.com/support/troubles.../65MDPJ1?s=BSD

Past Administrator

What kind of price point are you looking to go for on the GPU? We can figure out which one will give you the most credits in the project(s) you like to crunch for the budget. Nice workstation by the way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast