Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Sargies Tower upgrade

Silver Member

Re: Sargies Tower upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    If you are running Asteroids AVX WU (most likely) then YES, there will be more heat! My Intel Xeon machines downclock 15% when running AVX to limit the heat buildup.
    EDIT: you will see the same thing on PG and SRbase since they issue AVX 2.0 WU to the newer CPUs.
    Thanks Bryan, I thought I remembered one project causing me issues but I had forgotten which one it was. Will still do a check tomorrow but tonight I'll continue to monitor temps with a 10C increase on my 80C warning that I had set up. I was hoping the Kraken would easily keep up with my cpu temps but it's self overclocking seems to be a bit too powerful for it.

Video is currently uploading, encoding will most likely take most of the night but will post a link in the morning after I confirm its up.
    It's not the love of a hero, that's why I fear it won't do
    Chad Kroeger

Administrator

Try moving over to CSG and run it full bore to get a comparison of temps. CSG does not use AVX. AVX really heats up the processor but on most (not all) projects it makes a huge difference. I wouldn't tear things apart until you've run another project or 2 and get a baseline.

If you look at the WU running on Asteroids it will tell you whether or not it is using AVX ... it's shown at the end of the WU name.

If your machine is running AVX and the temps are within the normal limits then you are good to go. They will never get any hotter than when running the AVX/FMA3 instruction set.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    If you look at the WU running on Asteroids it will tell you whether or not it is using AVX ... it's shown at the end of the WU name.
    If your machine is running AVX and the temps are within the normal limits then you are good to go. They will never get any hotter than when running the AVX/FMA3 instruction set.
    102.10 AVX, Man, you are just trying to stop me from poking at the innards . I know I should let it be but having someone else do the build, even if they are professional builders, not knowing how much paste they used, where the hell they routed cords, and why they put certain components this way instead of that. It gets to me...lol. I'll finish up the WU's I have tonight and let it chew on something else in the morning before I do a teardown.
    Chad Kroeger

Administrator

I can't argue with your logic

Silver Member

The unboxing video is currently up and available for viewing...high production values not included ;P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYAsT6dQNis
    Chad Kroeger

Silver Member

cam_080917_1.jpgcam_081017_2.jpg

After switching to pogs, lol, good to see that my tweeking earlier actually made a difference. Down from 153F!
    Chad Kroeger

Platinum Member

There's a CAM update available that is supposed to fix Ryzen temp reporting.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    There's a CAM update available that is supposed to fix Ryzen temp reporting.
    Thanks! I'm wondering why it didn't prompt me to do the upgrade already. Now I can adjust my temp warnings back down to "normal". Thanks John!
    Chad Kroeger

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213