Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Sargies Tower upgrade

Silver Member

Re: Sargies Tower upgrade

Sarge I want to share my thoughts on how I cooled my latest build to see if it helps you. I'm using an h100 which is physically pretty much the same as your h100i. I only use two 120mm fans on the h100 radiator.

I don't like dust, it clogs things up and makes things run hotter and thus less efficient. My theory on dust is that if I have a positive pressure in the case dust is less inclined to reside in it. How do I get a positive pressure? Well I have all my fans blowing into the case with the exception of the h100, the gpu, and the power supply (pulls from bottom exhausts out back). The theory is that all the major heat producers have their own exhausts and if i can push more air into the case than the GPU and h100 exhaust out I'll have a positive pressure that will supply the GPU and CPU with near ambient room temp air.

Cable management can also play a big part in your air cooling. I'm glad I spent time thinking out my wiring so they are neatly tucked and tied...thank god for fully modular power supplies. Like I said i have all my case fans blowing in, so my components get cool air, not the hot exhaust of another component. And if I'm doing it right the extra pressure from all those fans (4x140mm, 1x120mm) will be forced out through the h100 radiator.

All that said, it's going to take A LOT more than what you got to be able to run your cpu at 100% under 60c (where you're throttling). I reserve a core or 2 for GPU apps (i.e. moowrapper requires a full core plus gpu) but i have my igpu hd4000 running 100% and with my h100 on medium setting i can do loads from 50-60 on an ivybridge 3570k but if I ran some 100% cpu stuff, primegrid avx it could be 75c...and thats fine for the cpu. If it's a heat thing 60c on your cpu is far less power than 60c on your gpu...
    That titan is leaps and bounds beyond that ...kaveri

Diamond Member

Modern CPUs self-throttle. No need to worry about damaging them due to heat.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by MindCrime View Post
    I've been contemplating repositioning my h100 radiator fans as pull rather than push. I don't have the room for push and pull though, do you or anyone else have personal experience with seeing better performance in the h100 series in pull than push?
    For most rads, pull works just as will as push. The exception, rads with a high fin density.

When rad fans are used to exhaust case air, as long as you have positive case pressure, then a pull config will work without issue.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'm really angry that I'm having so many issues right before the Pentathlon... but when else should I have issues right...lol. I've fiddled with the new fans I've installed but I've not had much luck, so tomorrow after work I'll try switching out the fans on the H100I to push instead and try that overclocked.

I will have to say my case is near silent when its not working which is kinda scary...lol. I don't expect it to be silent that much during the Pentathlon though...
    It's not the love of a hero, that's why I fear it won't do
    Chad Kroeger

Platinum Member

+1 to F$. Rads should always exhaust, otherwise you pull hot air into the case which warms up everything else. Defeats the purpose. And like F$ said, it's better to have more air being pulled in your case than blowing out. Air under pressure inside the case cools more effectively than standard or negative air pressure. Positive air pressure also helps keep dust out of your system. Negative draws it in.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    +1 to F$. Rads should always exhaust, otherwise you pull hot air into the case which warms up everything else. Defeats the purpose. And like F$ said, it's better to have more air being pulled in your case than blowing out. Air under pressure inside the case cools more effectively than standard or negative air pressure. Positive air pressure also helps keep dust out of your system. Negative draws it in.
    Emphasis mine, Unfortunately the issue I will have when I turn the fans on the radiator to exhaust is just that, I will have three fans exhausting while only three fans are providing pressure. Either I have to place another hole in the plexiglass side and mount my other exhaust fan there blowing in or mount the radiator on the outside of the case. As it stands my only exhaust fan is placed on the outside of the case and is partially over the TITAN's exhaust, If I turn it around it would compromise the GPU cooling.

Edit:Thinking on it the fans on the H100I are 2700RPM, so having them on exhaust would almost guarantee negative pressure since my three other fans are only pushing air at 2000RPM. Might have to do a bit of case modding to move that other exhaust fan.
    Chad Kroeger

Platinum Member

Fan RPM and CFM are not direclty related. It's easy to find 2 fans running at the exact same RPM with vastly different airflows. Also fans meant for use on rads often have lower CFM because they're made for higher static pressure than regular case fans.

For example:
    2000 RPM @ 69 CFM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103060
    2000 RPM @ 110 CFM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835132025

If either fan were attached to a rad, even if they were meant for rads, the rated airflow is reduced significantly since any fan's airflow rating is tested in open air.

Silver Member

Thanks again for all the help you guys have been giving. I had a chance to break open the case during lunch and switched the fans on the H100I to push. I was under the impression with high static pressure that the fans had coupled with their high rpm that they would provide a negative pressure environment. I was under the belief that pulling cool air from outside the case would provide better cooling then using the air provided from the other fans inside.

The comments provided in this topic really helped in that regard, I only had a chance to monitor the case temps for a few mins before I left but they seemed to be staying steady at 46-47C. This is a great improvement of the near 60C temps I was seeing before with the H100I being set to pull air in.

I still need to spin up the TITAN and see what the temps are but I need to get my rule set up working on the firewall. Will do some testing tonight and see if any bleed-through compromises the H110I.

Edit: Just to be comparing apples to apples, this testing is with the fx8350 overclocked to 4.8 and running on all cores. Tonight I will take a core to run the gpu.
    Last edited by Sarge104; 05-05-14 at 04:02 PM.
    Chad Kroeger

Silver Member

Took one core for the GPU over the night and temps on the H100I stayed at 50C with the TITAN fully engaged. The new fans are feeding the TITAN excellently, temps rarely went above 58C. So far very happy with the new fans.
    Chad Kroeger

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge104 View Post
    Took one core for the GPU over the night and temps on the H100I stayed at 50C with the TITAN fully engaged. The new fans are feeding the TITAN excellently, temps rarely went above 58C. So far very happy with the new fans.
    What a relief! Go Sarge GO!

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast