Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Sargies Tower upgrade

Platinum Member

Re: Sargies Tower upgrade

If you want any protection, you better ask for RAID 1. RAID 0 just combines multiple drive capacities to effectively give you a larger drive. But if you lose one drive, you lose everything on both drives... RAID 1 requires matching drives and they both end up with copies of the content, so if one dies, the other still has all your stuff.

http://www.diffen.com/difference/RAID_0_vs_RAID_1

RAID (redundant array of independent disks) is a storage technology that combines multiple disk drive components into a single logical unit so it behaves as one drive when connected to any other hardware. RAID 1 offers redundancy through mirroring, i.e., data is written identically to two drives. RAID 0 offers no redundancy and instead uses striping, i.e., data is split across all the drives. This means RAID 0 offers no fault tolerance; if any of the constituent drives fails, the RAID unit fails.

Silver Member

Tower arrived today! Made a terrible unboxing video...lol. Will have to wait till next week to do my first boot up due to having to be out of town for my birthday this weekend. Should have both the video and some testing done next week though and will post info then.
    It's not the love of a hero, that's why I fear it won't do
    Chad Kroeger

Silver Member

New tower is up and running after doing some updates. I do not have everything installed just yet but put it to work on NFS for the time being so I can run some WU's through it and see what I need to tweek. Will be leaving today and will be back on Tuesday to celebrate my birthday...
    Chad Kroeger

Silver Member

Did some burn in last week to make sure everything was alright with the coolers. GPU is running like a champ but my cpu cooler is causing me concern. Ran at 50%(evidently AMD hyper-threading is considered extra cores) last week on POGS and temps held at 153F/67C. Currently running at 25% with asteroids and my temps are still at 172F/78C. House temp has been consistent at 72F. The only change I can think of is I went in and hand tightened the cooler screws...Even switching out some of the LED fans with my old cooler master fans has not had any effect.

I will finish my current batch of WU's and do a tear-down to see if maybe the grease between the cooler and CPU flashed off or slide down...Ah, the joys of a new build. When i received the computer I noticed they put the fans on top of my CPU cooler. I had good luck with the fans under the cooler on my H100I so I may switch that during the tear down.
    Chad Kroeger

Silver Member

cam_080617_1.jpg
    Current temps
    Chad Kroeger

Platinum Member

CPU temp seems a bit high. Is the kraken mounted right or is the ryzen overvolted or something?

Platinum Member

Ah nvm. I see it intentionally overreports temps by 20C to trick the cooling fans into ramping up sooner. You're fine

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Ah nvm. I see it intentionally overreports temps by 20C to trick the cooling fans into ramping up sooner. You're fine
    I already looked into the over reporting, my concern is the temps where 20F lower last week then this week. I doubt Astroids would cause more heat then POG's or am I mistaken? I intend to do a teardown tommorrow since it started going up in temp with only 4 cores enabled tonight. Will update with any findings...

Currently uploading my unboxing of the new rig, will post a link when its ready to view!
    Chad Kroeger

Administrator

If you are running Asteroids AVX WU (most likely) then YES, there will be more heat! My Intel Xeon machines downclock 15% when running AVX to limit the heat buildup.

EDIT: you will see the same thing on PG and SRbase since they issue AVX 2.0 WU to the newer CPUs.
    Last edited by Bryan; 08-06-17 at 11:41 PM.

Platinum Member

It overreports by 20C, meaning 36F. And as Bryan said, Asteroids does run warmer than POGS. Seems like everything is ok

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast