Thread: Titan X

Platinum Member

Titan X

In the interest of keeping people from wasting their money, i've got to recommend not buying a $1000 Titan X. $600-$700 maybe, but not $1000. Unlike the original Titan, the new Titan X does not have unlocked double precision, and even if it did it would still be less than the original Titan. The new Titan X does not come with a backplate to keep the card more rigid when installed. If you're looking for a powerful all-purpose GPU from Nvidia, the Titan Z is actually your best bet. $500 more than an X, but over 13x more FP64 and more than 25% FP32. Or just wait a month or 2 for an AMD 390X. $650 or so and 8.6 TFLOPS FP32. Titan X gets just under 6.2 TFLOPS. And with AMD's track record, FP64 will be better there too. For far less money.

Nvidia will also likely reduce the price of the Titan X when AMD launches their new GPUs. Until then, they're calling the 980Ti a Titan X and charging you Titan prices. Please don't fall for it.
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 03-21-15 at 07:14 AM.

Gold Member

Re: Titan X

Sounds like NVIDIA is trying to steer industry users with FP64 needs into the Tesla line. We're "prosumers" now, John!

Gold Member

For Maya and Max, or with CAD applications, the workstation cards are still the way to go it seems. (Quadro or Fire Pro). Sucks because I know the power is there on the fp64 cards.

Past Administrator

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what that upcoming round of AMD cards can put out!

Platinum Member

Poem-635x368.jpg Einstein-635x308.jpg
    In both images, the results shown are times in seconds.

Platinum Member

With AMD's new GPUs, (300 series and the soon-to-be-released Fury and Fury X) the 7970 is still the winner for FP64. By far.

Diamond Member

Glad to hear, in a way. No compelling reason to spend big money.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne