Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having a hell of a time installing Catalyst successfully on my new rig

grathomp

Having a hell of a time installing Catalyst successfully on my new rig

So I just bought a new motherboard (MSI Z87-G41) and a new CPU (I7-4770K) and I have not been able to successfully install the Catalyst drivers to use my 6950. So far I have tried using Driver Fusion and tried reinstalling windows 7 several times. No matter what I do the installation stops prematurely saying it completed successfully, but with a warning. I click to see the warning messages, but none are listed. After reboot no Catalyst. Has anyone had a similar problem? Any suggestions? This is driving me crazy. Thanks.

Past Administrator

Re: Having a hell of a time installing Catalyst successfully on my new rig

I know that CCC requires .NET Framework 3.5. As M$ has updated 3.5 quite a few times you need to update Win7 before installing the latest CCC drivers.

Are you using the correct version of CCC? 64-bit Windows requires x64 CCC drivers. Or maybe your DL of CCC is corrupt?

Also if you have a 3rd party firewall/Anti Virus/Anti Malware products installed, you may need to disable it/them temporarily while installing CCC. (Always disable M$ Windows firewall completely via Windows Services GUI as it sucks!)

Try installing an older version of CCC, say 12.6.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

grathomp

The very first attempt to install 13-4 was off a completely updated fresh install of Windows 7. I'm in the process right now of reinstalling and updating windows 7 again, but this time never installing the Intel HD drivers. Hopefully that will work... Thanks for the reply!!

Past Administrator

I wonder if it's somehow conflicting with the Intel GPU and/or Intel GPU drivers? Also, F$ is right about the order which sounds like you're doing - I would load Windows, and then sit there and do all the updates (for the next 2 hours of your life...don't get me started on that! ) and then after all of that's done, try installing the Catalyst.
    Are you using both the Intel and an AMD GPU at the same time? If the above doesn't work, might have to turn the Intel GPU off in the BIOS, then start Windows with only the AMD GPU running and the Monitor connected to it, and then install Catalyst. Once it's loaded and installed, then you should be able to turn the Intel GPU back on in the BIOS without any other problems.

Platinum Member

Agree with F$ that it's your .NET Framework version causing the problem. Catalyst 12.10 or lower shouldn't cause this issue. Iirc 13.x requires .NET 4.0 but you have to wait for windows update to figure out you need to download it. Takes hours and hours :/ Each time you reinstall windows though it resets your .NET version so don't do that

grathomp

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    I wonder if it's somehow conflicting with the Intel GPU and/or Intel GPU drivers? Also, F$ is right about the order which sounds like you're doing - I would load Windows, and then sit there and do all the updates (for the next 2 hours of your life...don't get me started on that! ) and then after all of that's done, try installing the Catalyst.
    Are you using both the Intel and an AMD GPU at the same time? If the above doesn't work, might have to turn the Intel GPU off in the BIOS, then start Windows with only the AMD GPU running and the Monitor connected to it, and then install Catalyst. Once it's loaded and installed, then you should be able to turn the Intel GPU back on in the BIOS without any other problems.
    I really think it must have something to do with the Intel HD graphics drivers. Becuase originally it seems I did everything correctly. I installed windows 7, went through many cycles of updates (til there was nothing but language packs left), and then attempted to install catalyst. I'm going through the whole process again, but this time not installing the drivers for the Intel GPU.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by grathomp View Post
    ...going through the whole process again, but this time not installing the drivers for the Intel GPU.
    Good call. And as long as you grab ALL the .NET upgrades (will get you to 4.0) as F$ and JPM said, we should see success this time. We'll be awaiting the good report!

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by grathomp View Post
    I really think it must have something to do with the Intel HD graphics drivers. Becuase originally it seems I did everything correctly. I installed windows 7, went through many cycles of updates (til there was nothing but language packs left), and then attempted to install catalyst. I'm going through the whole process again, but this time not installing the drivers for the Intel GPU.
    Hmmm... yeah, that is a definite possibility. It may just be that CCC needs to be installed before the Intel APU drivers. That used to be true with mixed GPU systems but seems to be less of an issue this year.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

grathomp

Didn't work
    When I select custom install it only tries to install the Install Manager. Stumped.

Diamond Member

Try the automatic detect and install on http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx# at the top right of the page and connect the GPU before installing the driver.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast