Thread: Einstein: Einstein@Home on Android Devices

Diamond Member

Einstein: Einstein@Home on Android Devices

Starting today, Einstein@Home will run on your Android smartphones and tablets. If you own a device running Android 2.3 or higher please sign it up: download BOINC from the Google Play Store and attach to Einstein@Home. Your Android device will help us to find new radio pulsars in data from the Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico, the world's largest radio telescope. We'd also be grateful if you could report your "Android experiences" in this forum thread.Thank you for supporting Einstein@Home!Bruce AllenDirector, Einstein@Home

More...

Platinum Member

Re: Einstein: Einstein@Home on Android Devices

I have attached, but have not seen any WU's yet. Same with SETI.

Gold Member

Looks like I'll have to create Android apps just to show them how it is done.... After I get the new Collatz server up and running that is.

Just finished a piece of code that will update the database from the stats dumps to minimize the credits lost. WUs will have to restart from around midnight (it crashed around 6am) so there will a mess to clean up even with the updates from the stats as there could be 20K of data files that can't be processed because the server won't know the WUs exist.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

grathomp

Quote Originally Posted by denim View Post
    I have attached, but have not seen any WU's yet. Same with SETI.
    I participated in the beta for the android BOINC and was getting WUs for Asteroids and Albert. I am no longer getting work from those projects (or any project other than WUProp).

Platinum Member

I was using NativeBOINC at first but it wouldn't attach to WCG. So i tossed it and got the real BOINC for Android. Did some beta testing for WCG and have been running asteroids for the past couple days.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    I was using NativeBOINC at first but it wouldn't attach to WCG. So i tossed it and got the real BOINC for Android. Did some beta testing for WCG and have been running asteroids for the past couple days.
    There seems to be a pattern here. Every time outside developers get some new technology working and then contribute the code, the code gets changed before being added to BOINC such that their version no longer works. I've seen it happen 4 times since BOINC 6.0. I guess when you have to make code fit a standard based on a bad design, something has to break.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grathomp View Post
    I participated in the beta for the android BOINC and was getting WUs for Asteroids and Albert. I am no longer getting work from those projects (or any project other than WUProp).
    I have NativeBOINC on both phones, and I have a steady stream of PG, WCG and Asteroids. Set MW and to NNW, despite it seeming to be the highest credit return for NativeBOINC WU's. Also, there are BETA WCG WU's that come to the phones, but not to the computers, so it is a good addition for BADGERS.

grathomp

I just reinstalled BOINC on my phone and reattached to all of the supported projects. The only work I'm getting is from WUProp. Does anyone have any idea why this may be?

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grathomp View Post
    I just reinstalled BOINC on my phone and reattached to all of the supported projects. The only work I'm getting is from WUProp. Does anyone have any idea why this may be?
    Not getting anything from Asteroids or PG for example?

grathomp

Quote Originally Posted by denim View Post
    Not getting anything from Asteroids or PG for example?
    Nevermind. I'm getting tasks now.