Thread: Creating a $99 parallel computing machine

Diamond Member
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

Re: Creating a $99 parallel computing machine

Looking very forward to these. I was a KickStarter backer and should have my two boards arriving shortly. I will keep you guys posted. Would eventually like to port NumberFields over to ARM to run it on these.

Past Administrator

Huh. Interesting. My one question would be, how does the GFLOPs per Watt compare to X86 CPUs? That's what it kind of boils down to these days, is how much the utility bill is each month for a given number crunching ability.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Huh. Interesting. My one question would be, how does the GFLOPs per Watt compare to X86 CPUs? That's what it kind of boils down to these days, is how much the utility bill is each month for a given number crunching ability.
    For us, that's true. However, many data centers charge per sq. ft. or per unit of rack space. That's why blade servers were/are such a big hit for those who didn't need a lot of disk storage. I'm sure someone will come up with a pluggable version of these if they can compete with the blades' power and cost less.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Platinum Member

Look into HP's Moonshot that they announced recently. Very similar approach to taking blades and continuing to head towards this Credit card sized server...

Quote Originally Posted by HP
    Form Factor
    HP Moonshot 1500 chassis- 4.3U form factor
    HP ProLiant Moonshot servers are constructed to allow for 45 servers to fit vertically and exclusively into
    the HP Moonshot 1500 chassis
    HP Moonshot-45G Switch Modules are designed for up to two switches to install vertically and exclusively
    into the HP Moonshot 1500 chassis. An HP Moonshot-6SFP Uplink Module is required per switch