Thread: Renderfarm.fi has work

Gold Member

Renderfarm.fi has work

http://www.renderfarm.fi

I'm getting work for Renderfarm.fi. It seems to be 4 at a time. The lengths seem to vary widely. They've all been real short so far. The app is roughly 20M.

From just a few WU's, it seems like about 40 stones/hour on a x86_64, 3 Ghz linux box. (per core)

I guess I should mention:
    No New Accounts for now.

Well, I guess I'm late to the game. Lots of people already there, but I guess the key to this post is that Linux tasks are finally validating. Late last month I was getting only errors.
    Last edited by trigggl; 04-14-11 at 08:18 PM.
    6r39 7r199

Platinum Member

Re: Renderfarm.fi has work

When I signed up, there were no new accounts via BOINC manager, but you could manually sign up on the site.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    When I signed up, there were no new accounts via BOINC manager, but you could manually sign up on the site.
    Just beware the 4GB per thread monsters that rear their ugly heads every now and then.

Gold Member

Renderfarm is more-or-less alive again for those that already have accounts there. There's no access to account settings and they aren't exporting stats, yet, but they are putting out a steady flow of work. It looks like you can only attach if you already had an account before their recent melt-down. Perhaps an account can be created on the website.

http://www.renderfarm.fi/

Just be aware that it's multi-threaded and WILL interrupt the GPU if you're not taking precautions (virtual machine, limiting cores in cc_config, etc).

PS. WUProp counts it and I've built up 100 hours.
    Last edited by trigggl; 02-21-13 at 11:23 PM.
    6r39 7r199

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    Renderfarm is more-or-less alive again for those that already have accounts there. There's no access to account settings and they aren't exporting stats, yet, but they are putting out a steady flow of work. It looks like you can only attach if you already had an account before their recent melt-down. Perhaps an account can be created on the website.

http://www.renderfarm.fi/

Just be aware that it's multi-threaded and WILL interrupt the GPU if you're not taking precautions (virtual machine, limiting cores in cc_config, etc).

PS. WUProp counts it and I've built up 100 hours.
    Yeah, they are also active on twitter, and I have been pestering them about account access.

1) No, MT will not interrupt GPU tasks on single GPU machines with the latest BOINC clients. They fixed that. However, if you are using app_info.xml to use more than a single thread (like I do with POEM), then yeah you still have to use a VM or something similar to do both.

2) WUProp counts time yes, but only as a single thread. For example, assume an i7, 8-thread machine. Assume you are running your MT task like renderfarm for 24 hours. WUProp should count that as 24*8. But it counts it as only 24*1. In other words, it does not count MT tasks properly. I recommend delaying MT apps until WUProp gets them fixed.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Gold Member

Stats are now live!
    6r39 7r199