Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: SETI.USA NEEDS A STEERING COMMITTEE NOW.

Re: SETI.USA NEEDS A STEERING COMMITTEE NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    ...It might be a good idea to employ "Roberts Rules of Order" here as well as any thread regarding team policy...
    Mr. Chairman, Point of order…

RONR are great for large groups meeting face to face but were never meant to be used (and will not work well, if at all) in an electronic forum. Besides, how many here are actually familiar with RONR?

Appropriate decorum by all members posting is all that is required for meaningful discussion on these boards.

Gold Member

Im with Tera.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post

We must rid ourselves of the notion that we can be all things to all people...that is, if we want to excel at any one thing. Cliche time..."jack of all trades, master of none", etc, etc. Those sayings came into being for a reason.
    Ever met a company called Wal-Mart? Microsoft? Both company's that are masters of many things. Individuals will never master all, teams can. Look at Lockheed Martin do you want to know why they are the largest defense contractor in the world? Because they are the master of everything they do. Find me one things they don't? Look inside of a dell some time, I've seen 5-6 company's inside of one dell different things coming together to produce one product. The difference between us and a normal sport is that we have no limits except that of what we accomplish. We have no player limit and we have no equipment limit. One person could never do what a team can. Nor should one person try and understand it as such. We should more work like a league many branches working together but in different areas in there own way.
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DrBob View Post
    Mr. Chairman, Point of order…

RONR are great for large groups meeting face to face but were never meant to be used (and will not work well, if at all) in an electronic forum. Besides, how many here are actually familiar with RONR?

Appropriate decorum by all members posting is all that is required for meaningful discussion on these boards.
    Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    Im with Tera.
    OK, I see your point. I just hope everyone understands the full definition of decorum and how it applies to this method of communication. That has not always been the case (myself included).

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

Dandasarge,
    You are a very brilliant individual, and we shouldn't be disagreeing on this one, so I do not think we are looking at this the same way. Let me try a different slant:

Walmart excels at one thing only: low cost imports. We have it from their CEO himself, [those products where there is] "no more value added by expertise in the work force". That's it. Pure and simple, that's what Walmart does. And, they do it well, as you pointed out.
    You going to go to Walmart for a high end sound system or a cheap one? How about some nice jewelry for your wife (thnk Tiffany's or better) vs some "cheap stuff" for your daughter (think Walmart).

We could go on with the other companies, but I think you see what I mean. Every organization, whether it is a company or not, has a stated purpose.
    Like I said earlier, I'm not dictating or even stating what ours should be - just that we must have one. Even if it's "To have the most fun crunching BOINC projects".

Yes, we could say we want to be #1 overall, and have the most MMs, but neither camp is ever going to see eye to eye. And then there are those who want to crunch a certain project for its real world value, regardless of BOINC credit awarded. It's a philosophic battle. No one is right and no one is wrong -it just is.

Now, we could do exactly what you proposed in a round-about way above: We could have divisions. This is what S.G. does. Seems to work well. We could each pick a division we like, and work within our "department' to be the best of the best in that category. For example, someone like Fire$torm could head the #1 overall division and someone like Maxwell could head the MM division. Each division would have its own set of parameters to work from, goals, etc. As long as everyone is willing to come together for the common good on team-wide challenges, that might be the perfect solution.

Hope that clears things up a little.

Silver Member

Dandasarge,
    You are a very brilliant individual, and we shouldn't be disagreeing on this one, so I do not think we are looking at this the same way. Let me try a different slant:

Walmart excels at one thing only: low cost imports. We have it from their CEO himself, [those products where there is] "no more value added by expertise in the work force". That's it. Pure and simple, that's what Walmart does. And, they do it well, as you pointed out.
    You going to go to Walmart for a high end sound system or a cheap one? How about some nice jewelry for your wife (thnk Tiffany's or better) vs some "cheap stuff" for your daughter (think Walmart).

We could go on with the other companies, but I think you see what I mean. Every organization, whether it is a company or not, has a stated purpose.
    Like I said earlier, I'm not dictating or even stating what ours should be - just that we must have one. Even if it's "To have the most fun crunching BOINC projects".

Yes, we could say we want to be #1 overall, and have the most MMs, but neither camp is ever going to see eye to eye. And then there are those who want to crunch a certain project for its real world value, regardless of BOINC credit awarded. It's a philosophic battle. No one is right and no one is wrong -it just is.

Now, we could do exactly what you proposed in a round-about way above: We could have divisions. This is what S.G. does. Seems to work well. We could each pick a division we like, and work within our "department' to be the best of the best in that category. For example, someone like Fire$torm could head the #1 overall division and someone like Maxwell could head the MM division. Each division would have its own set of parameters to work from, goals, etc. As long as everyone is willing to come together for the common good on team-wide challenges, that might be the perfect solution.

We are looking at this vary different. When I look at wal-mart I see the 20 or so company's Wal-Mart is that makes it great. True the main part everyone knows. There is the Wal-Mart bank, real estate company, investment company, logistic company. Production company's. All hidden under the store. but without them wal-marts bottom line wouldn't be 1/2 of what it is.

At least you understand what I'm saying at least.

I also understand that we can't make everyone happy. Nor should we try. We also can't start every where at once. It really doesn't matter where we start but should form that committee so they can advise us on how its is to be organized.

so how do you set up one of those vote things?
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Past Admin

Dandasarge,

+1

Thatīs probably the best idea I have heard yet!

One division could come to others aid, in the time of challenge....
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Administrator

I wish I had more time to address all of this but I have to get to work so I will try to be short.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    OK, I see your point. I just hope everyone understands the full definition of decorum and how it applies to this method of communication. That has not always been the case (myself included).

This and Fire$torm's original post about Robert's Rules is something that we need to keep in mind when posting. I am guilty as well of not following a decorum, I have attacked the messenger when the message was valid just because I didn't like the delivery...

This and DrPop's other post is most excellent; this is something we need to do, and do it NOW. We have all seen the numbers there is no denying we are slipping and in trouble. WE have all seen it and WE have all done nothing about this predicament.

WE need to ACT and not be afraid that we 'might' make someone unhappy... frankly, I'm unhappy and we can't keep doing more of the same and expect a different result.

So let's DO this NOW!
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345