Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quake-Catcher Network: US Gov't Shutdown - No USGS Data

Diamond Member

Quake-Catcher Network: US Gov't Shutdown - No USGS Data

Note that due to the recent US government shutdown - the USGS will not be providing data for the QCNLive & QCN/BOINC earthquake map, and matching of USGS detected events to QCN events. Hopefully this issue will be resolved soon.

More...

Diamond Member

Re: Quake-Catcher Network: US Gov't Shutdown - No USGS Data

Hilarious!
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

And someone mentioned to me today that he'd heard that less than 1 Million US Residents would actually even be affected by the Government shutdown.

Diamond Member

It is a mandatory vacation, that will eventually be paid. Wish my company would have a shut down like that!

Here is the question: If the people being forced to not work are non-essential, why are we paying for them in the first place? The few of us tax payers are getting screwed now more than ever. The news media are all in lock step, telling us how awful the shut down is. I say, let's make it permanent. And throw an additional weekly sequester on top of it all.

Gold Member

The news reported 800,000 non-essential government employees were now on furlough. My question is, "Why aren't they downsized?" If they are non-essential, why are we paying them with our tax dollars? And how come congress still gets paid? The politicians certainly aren't essential. ;-)
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Administrator

And then to hear the Senators talking about not wanting to vote that they have to also use Obamacare because their poor staffers work VERY hard and it would be unfair to them. So from that I guess they think no one else in the nation works hard! The average person doesn't get a 75% subsidy for their health care either. Talk about pure arrogance!

Past Administrator

Couldn't agree more with you guys. They are SO out of touch with reality. What a mess.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    Note that due to the recent US government shutdown - the USGS will not be providing data for the QCNLive & QCN/BOINC earthquake map, and matching of USGS detected events to QCN events.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumps
    And someone mentioned to me today that he'd heard that less than 1 Million US Residents would actually even be affected by the Government shutdown.
    Well that person was clearly misinformed

1) You may not receive certain government benefits, particularly if the shutdown lasts late into October, or you’ll see a delay in benefits.

2) There could be delays processing your Pell Grant and student loan payments.

3) Your passport or visa office might close.

4) You’ll eat food that was produced in neglected factories. The FDA is shuttering the majority of its food-safety oversight operation, which means facilities that mass-produce foods — from prune juice to pickles – will not receive their routine inspections.

5) You won’t be able to visit national parks or drive on roads that cut through them. All 401 of them.

6) You won’t know if the flu (or any other epidemic) is brewing in your area. The CDC will not monitor seasonal flu activity this year and won’t conduct cross-state investigations to link outbreaks of diseases like hepatitis A or salmonella, etc.

7) You won’t be able to ask the IRS for help with your taxes.

8) You won’t be able to get certain types of loans. Basically anything having to do with the SBA or the FHA.

9) You won’t be able to watch the Panda Cam The National Zoo is closed too.

10) Military personnel: Members of the armed forces would have their paychecks put on hold while they continue to work.

11) People who use boats: The Coast Guard will cut back on routine patrols and navigation assistance. Go go drug dealers!

12) @CuriosityRover: 98 percent of NASA's staff will be furloughed, and the agency's website and live-streams will go dark.

and the list goes on and on...

Only 1 million affected? Please inform this person they don't know what they're talking about

Diamond Member

I keep going from "who gives a shit" to "how do we make this permanent?"

Edit: Everyone will get paid in the end. It's just a mandatory paid vacation. ...for the 18% of non-essential tax-payer employees.
    Last edited by zombie67; 10-03-13 at 12:40 AM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    I keep going from "who gives a shit" to "how do we make this permanent?"
    Let's see, if they are shut down then they aren't spending money. If they aren't spending money then there's no need to raise the debt ceiling. Problem solved!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast