Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quake-Catcher Network: US Gov't Shutdown - No USGS Data

Platinum Member

Re: Quake-Catcher Network: US Gov't Shutdown - No USGS Data

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Let's see, if they are shut down then they aren't spending money. If they aren't spending money then there's no need to raise the debt ceiling. Problem solved!!
    Yes. And really, a little more bacteria in our food would help restore the weakened immune systems of all these clowns addicted to hand sanitizer, which in turn is just creating more bacteria resistant to more ways of being killed. I can't even remember the last time i, or anyone i know, was given penicillin. Why? It doesn't work anymore.

Gold Member

My adult daughter (who I bought and fixed a car for so that she could work) procrastinated going to DHS and found them closed on the day of the shutdown. Might want to make getting a job a priority. She called for help with getting diapers for her daughter. Sounds like a good time to enforce potty training since her daughter's past the age she should be out of diapers anyways. She doesn't have a job, so it's not like she has anything better to do (except maybe get a job).

Maybe this situation will put a fire under her butt to grow up and get responsible. She's not getting any help from us this time either, so I hope she gets a clue.
    6r39 7r199

Past Administrator

Not that I disagree with any of you but some of the chatter is not entirely correct. Why? Because America is in a state of war!

So the NSA and CIA are operating with full staffs as is HLS. Any congressman and/or congresswoman (yuck on PC) that is on any committee dealing with National Security has a full staff. Only on paper (err national media) is the Coast Guard not fully staffed and operational.

Though not exactly a source, my Uncle is retired Fed, U.S. Customs & Border Patrol. I heard enough stories from him to realize that the Gov. NEVER tells the truth in regards to protecting itself.
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 10-03-13 at 03:43 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

Calling it a shut-down is just wrong. Only ~18% of the federal workforce is actually not working. "Partial shutdown" is more accurate. And even then, they are picking only those items that they believe will cause the most pain and visibility to the voters. For example, closing parks that have no upkeep costs, no rangers, nothing. Just to make it inconvenient. They did the same thing back with the sequester, remember? They are scared we will become aware of how much of the federal spending we really do not need or care about. Can't let that happen!!
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

State of WI DNR (Department of Natural Resources) told the Fed Govt to get lost when they were told they needed to shut down all the State parks that were partially funded by the Feds.

Past Administrator

Makes me wonder when the majority of folks in this country will wake up and go, "Huh. We sent home 90% of the IRS workers and yet the IRS is STILL collecting taxes! Hmmm...we sent home 3/4 of the EPA and they're still a pain in the BLEEP! ... etc".

It would seem to those of us outside of D.C. that we're more than a little top heavy. Way past time to shed some weight!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Makes me wonder when the majority of folks in this country will wake up and go, "Huh. We sent home 90% of the IRS workers and yet the IRS is STILL collecting taxes! Hmmm...we sent home 3/4 of the EPA and they're still a pain in the BLEEP! ... etc".

It would seem to those of us outside of D.C. that we're more than a little top heavy. Way past time to shed some weight!
    Those that have been sent home are in effect on a free vacation. When they return to work they will be given "back" pay. Not a bad deal if you can get it

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    State of WI DNR (Department of Natural Resources) told the Fed Govt to get lost when they were told they needed to shut down all the State parks that were partially funded by the Feds.
    It is deer hunting season in WI and NOBODY messes with deer hunting in WI!!!!!
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Gold Member

I agree. The question is, what happens when 5 million federal employees all start collecting unemployment for 99 months?
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    I agree. The question is, what happens when 5 million federal employees all start collecting unemployment for 99 months?
    Theoretically, unemployment insurance is pre-funded by the workers themselves. So those 5 million employees already funded program, just in case they ever become unemployed. Of course, extending the program to 99 weeks is far beyond what the funds can support. Just like every other federal social program.
    Last edited by zombie67; 10-04-13 at 11:02 AM.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast