Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: calculating credit

calculating credit

I know some have seen this, worth posting. So does this mean everytime a new baseline machine is used credit earned goes down?

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Computation_credit

Also, sorry, did this from my phone and did not notice I posted in games.
    Last edited by Clank [MM]; 10-03-13 at 01:31 PM.

Past Administrator

Re: calculating credit

Well . . . I think that depends on if the project uses the "Credit New" crap or not to generate a "baseline" of credit. Some do and THANKFULLY some don't and just have a fixed credit per WU returned - which is how it should be, regardless of how fast you crunched that WU. So, newer, faster hardware gets more credit per day. Duh - but leave it to academics to screw that one up!

Gold Member

The issue is that the original baseline computer listed which got 1000 Megaflops per day was a PIII 800 Mhz machine. The problem is that as newer CPUs came out with enhanced instruction sets and the apps were modified to make use of those new instructions, they actually got more than 200 credits per gigaflop per day. So, DA and his team decided that getting more credit for doing more work was unfair. He then came up with his "CreditNew" algorithm which attempts to give the exact same credit for a given CPU and time period on all projects. It would work if we all ran SETI and only SETI. But, since no other project uses the exact same percent of floating point calculations as SETI, it is still apples and oranges. If you don't believe me, downclock the memory on your GPU by 50% on a project using CreditNew where the memory has an impact and see what happens. You credit will go down a little, but it will also drag down the average for all others using that GPU which means they get less credit as well because they are all supposed to be the same. Don't even get me started on projects that use 50% GPU load and get the same credit awarded by CreditNew as projects where the GPU is at 99% load.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Administrator

But Slicker you are SO wrong. Remember that GPUs don't crunch on their own and must use CPUs therefore they aren't "efficient" and shouldn't be awarded big credits!

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Don't even get me started on projects that use 50% GPU load and get the same credit awarded by CreditNew as projects where the GPU is at 99% load.
    Come on Slicker. We're all friends here. Tell us what you really think. I'll bet it is the same as just about everyone else here.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    ... So, DA and his team decided that getting more credit for doing more work was unfair. . .
    And thus . . . the Kingdom of BOINC Land slipped into its Marxist underworld . . . where one man's P4 is equal to another's i7. "After all," mused the Rulers, "they are both in the same size case, they must do the same work!"

Gold Member

I had a P3 that ran at 1GHz with Rambus memory. I wonder what that would do to credit new. I think the Rambus was at 800MHz. So what if it's serial?
    6r39 7r199

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    I had a P3 that ran at 1GHz with Rambus memory. I wonder what that would do to credit new. I think the Rambus was at 800MHz. So what if it's serial?
    Since no one is running those old P3's any more, no one really knows whether the credits are screwed up now or not. But, given that overclocking is penalized and underclocking is rewarded the masses will revolt at some point -- unless they are the same masses that keep voting for the same politicians who make the same false promises every couple years.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Robert7

well said

Gold Member

Do you guys want to run something useful instead of running for the credits? I could need some help on my math projects...lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast