Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Haswell Quad core?

Past Admin

Which Haswell Quad core?

Hey team.

Migth have a shot at a Asus Maximus VI Extreme board. ( I will know within 3 days)

I have a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo, does that fit that socket?

But the big question is: Which Haswell Quad-core CPU will give best bang for the buck? (have been running AMD for the last 4 years)

Any advice appreciated.
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Past Administrator

Re: Which Haswell Quad core?

Do you like to overclock or will you run it stock speeds? Answer changes based on that.

Past Admin

Probably stock speed. Havenīt done much OC, and havenīt got time to play around.

Past Administrator

Yep, that 212 Evo will fit. Note that only the i7-47xx have Hyper-threading support, and all cost about the same. So might as well spend the extra $30 bucks for the K version (unlocked multiplier).

For non-HT Haswell, I'd say the i5-4670K is your best bet.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Yep, that 212 Evo will fit. Note that only the i7-47xx have Hyper-threading support, and all cost about the same. So might as well spend the extra $30 bucks for the K version (unlocked multiplier).

For non-HT Haswell, I'd say the i5-4670K is your best bet.
    But crunchingwise I would want one WITH HT yes?

Past Administrator

I would go that route, so yeah HT FTW

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Admin

Well, the board should be secured. Just got confirmation today:

http://www.asus.com/dk/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_EXTREME/

I bougth this board extremely cheap. I know itīs a OC board, but I an not planning on using it as such.

So, I need to scrape together for a CPU, and possible some better memory sticks. Any recommendation who wonīt get me broke? ( I am using 2x4GB DDR3 1333 1.5V in current system, are they OK for starters?)

EDIT: I just bougth a normal BLU-RAY player and a AppleTV (3īrd Gen), so I have a lowend HTPC up for sale, which I hope could bring me 200$ in funding for a CPU...
    Last edited by Beerdrinker; 10-31-13 at 05:01 PM.

Past Administrator

@Beer - SWEET motherboard my bro! I like it. I like it A LOT!
    I know you don't plan on OC with it, but please do - at least a little. You will be amazed, the socket 1150 CPUs are very simple to OC (at least moderate amounts) and do not use too much juice. In fact, an OCed socket 1150 i7 will use less power than your old AMD CPU at stock settings.

The CPU you want is an i7 (so it has HT) second generation or higher. That means either Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, or Haswell.
    The part numbers are:
    Sandy Bridge: 2600K, 2700K
    Ivy Bridge: 3770K
    Haswell: 4770K
    Definitely try to get a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge CPU used. Don't worry about spending the extra $ for a Haswell in this situation. Seriously, it won't crunch any better (maybe 1%) and it won't OC any higher. The Ivy Bridge 3770K is the sweet spot, but if you can score a great deal on a used Sandy Bridge - like a 2600K or something like that, then I'd go with it! You could potentially save a lot of money going that route, and only give up 5 to 10% of the performance of the latest and greatest - which you could easily overcome with a small OC on it.

Your RAM will be just fine, yes you will get higher benchmarks with faster RAM, but honestly there is no difference at all in my Socket 2011 rigs with 1333 or 1600 RAM, it doesn't change any crunching output - even when I'm OCed to the hilt like hitting 5GHz - the RAM is not the bottleneck, so I'd keep the RAM you have there and put the $ into the CPU.

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    @Beer - SWEET motherboard my bro! I like it. I like it A LOT!
    I know you don't plan on OC with it, but please do - at least a little. You will be amazed, the socket 1150 CPUs are very simple to OC (at least moderate amounts) and do not use too much juice. In fact, an OCed socket 1150 i7 will use less power than your old AMD CPU at stock settings.

The CPU you want is an i7 (so it has HT) second generation or higher. That means either Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, or Haswell.
    The part numbers are:
    Sandy Bridge: 2600K, 2700K
    Ivy Bridge: 3770K
    Haswell: 4770K
    Definitely try to get a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge CPU used. Don't worry about spending the extra $ for a Haswell in this situation. Seriously, it won't crunch any better (maybe 1%) and it won't OC any higher. The Ivy Bridge 3770K is the sweet spot, but if you can score a great deal on a used Sandy Bridge - like a 2600K or something like that, then I'd go with it! You could potentially save a lot of money going that route, and only give up 5 to 10% of the performance of the latest and greatest - which you could easily overcome with a small OC on it.

Your RAM will be just fine, yes you will get higher benchmarks with faster RAM, but honestly there is no difference at all in my Socket 2011 rigs with 1333 or 1600 RAM, it doesn't change any crunching output - even when I'm OCed to the hilt like hitting 5GHz - the RAM is not the bottleneck, so I'd keep the RAM you have there and put the $ into the CPU.

Thanks for the recomendations!! Well I am off to search for a deal on a CPU then!

Platinum Member

Wait!!!! lol

You already picked out the motherboard, and because of that, you must get an Intel 4xxx CPU, such as the 4770K or lower, but no 3xxx (Ivy Bridge) or any 2xxx (Sandy Bridge) will work. Haswell (4xxx series) only.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast