Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router suggestion. HELP!

Administrator

Router suggestion. HELP!

My old router died last night. I'm looking for suggestions on a replacement. In a hurry! What needs to be replaced is a wireless DSL. Doesn't have to be fancy, but dependable. I have a DSL Extreme 6 connection via att. Needs to have 4 ethernet ports as all my rigs are hardwired. This is a bit of a priority. Thanks.
    Last edited by Al; 11-11-13 at 07:47 AM.

Past Admin

Re: Router suggestion. HELP!

I am using this one:

http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN56U/

Here in Denmark the price is around 100$, but itīs rock solid and can easily handle my 4 wired and 3 wireless conncetions on a 15/15Mbit line
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Silver Member

Been using a Netgear AC1750 for a year or so, seems OK. There seems to be a newer model. Need to check the number of wired ports however. http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R6300.aspx

Edit: They have combined DSL modems and routers. http://www.netgear.com/home/products...odems-routers/
    Last edited by somanyroads; 11-11-13 at 08:44 AM.

Administrator

Just for clarification, my router and modem are combined, I guess, since it's a single piece of hardware. I'm not with it today, but it's a Motorola supplied by att.

Silver Member

If it's an AT&T supplied modem/router and it died they should supply a new one. I've had mine replaced 3 or 4 times by them over the last 10 years.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Gold Member

I think I have a DSL modem lying around that you can have if you want. If it works, you could then use whatever gateway/router/firewall you want and it wouldn't have to have embedded DSL support. I have a Cisco 3000 and also a 6500 which I like. Good throughput. No build in DSL support though.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Administrator

My thought was to pick up something today. In the meantime I called att to see if I get a tech out asap. I've got a service call for Wednesday morning, which works for my timeline. So, thanks for the recommendations all and the offer Slicker, but I'm gonna let att take care of their mess.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Al McAdams View Post
    My thought was to pick up something today. In the meantime I called att to see if I get a tech out asap. I've got a service call for Wednesday morning, which works for my timeline. So, thanks for the recommendations all and the offer Slicker, but I'm gonna let att take care of their mess.
    If they don't cover it via tech support, then call sales. Often if you lock into a contract for another year they'll throw in new equipment and features.

Vic (mobile)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by cineon_lut View Post
    If they don't cover it via tech support, then call sales. Often if you lock into a contract for another year they'll throw in new equipment and features.

Vic (mobile)
    I have more money than sense when it comes to my internet connection. So I'll pay whatever it costs. That said, the last 2 att replacements have been free. This would have been my first choice, but I wasn't sure they'd be able to get here soon enough...they surprised me.

Silver Member

hope you get it fix man will miss you till you do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast