Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Androinc

Administrator

Androinc

About AndrOINC

http://androinc.net/

AndrOINC is a boinc project trying to break a 1024 bit RSA key used by Motorola to sign the boot and recovery partitions on the Motorola Milestone. If this key could be broken, we would be able to sign our own boot/recovery images, which would enable us to run custom kernels and recovery images on the Milestone.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Past Administrator

Re: Androinc

Everyone who has a CPU (that should be EVERYONE, am I being redundant?) should be on this now! It looks to double even what AQUA was giving me over a 24 hour period!

Thanks for the heads up Zombie and Maxwell!

Silver Member

This also is cracking a code, at these points this will not be a vary long mission. unless they are going to do more but to try a billion codes will not be that long depending on how many computers are on it. Lots of points +1 bing #1 on something noone can take it away from us un +1
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Silver Member

This also is cracking a code, at these points this will not be a vary long mission. unless they are going to do more but to try a billion codes will not be that long depending on how many computers are on it. Lots of points +1 bing #1 on something noone can take it away from us +1
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dandasarge View Post
    This also is cracking a code, at these points this will not be a vary long mission. unless they are going to do more but to try a billion codes will not be that long depending on how many computers are on it. Lots of points +1 bing #1 on something noone can take it away from us un +1
    It's substantially more than a billion codes. It's 1024-bit encryption, and a brute force method will take longer than the lifespan of the universe to finish, even with 10 times the computing power the project currently has...

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Everyone who has a CPU (that should be EVERYONE, am I being redundant?) should be on this now! It looks to double even what AQUA was giving me over a 24 hour period!

Thanks for the heads up Zombie and Maxwell!
    I've got all 16 cores of mine on it.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Silver Member

http://news.techworld.com/security/3...ption-cracked/

You can do something like this narrow down about 50-75%. There are systems that have already cracked 2048bit. The nature of cracking electronics is useless if its going to run more then 6mo to a year. The item is outdated and useless by the time you figure out how to get into it.

Platinum Member

You can do something like this narrow down about 50-75%. There are systems that have already cracked 2048bit. The nature of cracking electronics is useless if its going to run more then 6mo to a year. The item is outdated and useless by the time you figure out how to get into it.
    Yep. Agreed. My understanding was that the motivation was "eh. I'm curious, so I'll run a BOINC project, and not care too strongly if I ever actually solve the problem I'm testing out..."

Teratoma

I'm in. Always like good CPU credits, besides, I need to catch up on my MMs.

Thanks for the heads up DrPop!

Administrator

This reminds me of an article I had read awhile ago. I am just paraphrasing but it basically said that the ability to crack a so called uncrackable encryption is simply a matter of equipment and money.

If you use the standard computers that most of use and have a limited budget, it would take you x amount of time to crack a 256bit key using alphanumeric and symbols. The time was, I don't remember exactly but I think the Sun will burn out before you could crack it.

On the other end of the spectrum, was the ultra elite computer which didn't exactly run any kind of store bought software, in fact they said you and I could never get one of these things... some sort of government covert computer thing and pretty much an unlimited budget to... well... purchase this thing... they could crack it in seconds.

And that's the stuff they're willing to tell you about... and people think their 4 digit ATM pin is safe.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast