Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Androinc

Past Administrator

Re: Androinc

I don't really think the project will end any time soon, because isn't DNETC doing a similar type of project? They're not even close to being done, and they're using HUGE amounts of GPUs...
    ...this project on CPU alone would take forever. When they port it to GPU, we might see it finish much sooner, depending on the credit they give out, and if we're all willing to throw thousands of high end GPUs at it.

But...by then we'll have SO MANY MM credits on this puppy that we'll actually be happy when we do crack it and the project completes successfully.

Diamond Member

I think androinc is being managed by the same people as dnetc.

And that means that the first GPU app will be ATI.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

"AndrOINC is a boinc project trying to break a 1024 bit RSA key used by Motorola to sign the boot and recovery partitions on the Motorola Milestone. If this key could be broken, we would be able to sign our own boot/recovery images, which would enable us to run custom kernels and recovery images on the Milestone. "

I was wondering if it's actually legal or how legal it is to so blatantly sit there and "hack" a private encryption key? Are we now accomplices in a criminal activity?

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by NJCaNS View Post
    "AndrOINC is a boinc project trying to break a 1024 bit RSA key used by Motorola to sign the boot and recovery partitions on the Motorola Milestone. If this key could be broken, we would be able to sign our own boot/recovery images, which would enable us to run custom kernels and recovery images on the Milestone. "

I was wondering if it's actually legal or how legal it is to so blatantly sit there and "hack" a private encryption key? Are we now accomplices in a criminal activity?
    One could argue that it isn't illegal to pick a lock. You just can't open the door because that's when it becomes breaking and entering. The cops on TV always try the doorknob and if it is open assume they can enter and everyone knows that if you see it on TV or read it on the Internet, it must be true.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    One could argue that it isn't illegal to pick a lock. You just can't open the door because that's when it becomes breaking and entering. The cops on TV always try the doorknob and if it is open assume they can enter and everyone knows that if you see it on TV or read it on the Internet, it must be true.
    It is my understanding that "breaking and entering" are two separate criminal acts. So if one were to pick a lock or open a door on a property that is not yours you are now chargeable with "breaking"; so if you pick a lock, open the door and enter... you can now be charged with 2 counts of breaking, 1 of entering and undoubtedly trespassing.

I don't watch COPS but my Uncle is a retired Captain in California.

@NJCaNS - But if anyone asks... you haven't seen me.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Past Admin

Is it just me or is all my WUīs pending...Havenīt received ANY CS since last nigth...
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Beerdrinker View Post
    Is it just me or is all my WUīs pending...Havenīt received ANY CS since last nigth...
    Mine are getting validated right away.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post
    Mine are getting validated right away.

Havenīt received a single CS in the last 12-15 hours....And then...Bang...When I wrote this post....CS flowing...!

Edit: Granted 10.000 CS on the last 20 minutes.....
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Platinum Member

As I mentioned to DrPop, any of my machines running Win2000 errored out. It doesn't like them.

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

Well credits are reporting on the site, but it looks like they haven't exported to the stats sites yet. I also am still seeing significant validation errors using the 64bit linux 1.02 client. On the other hand since Aqua is down it gives me something to point my stuff at so I expect I will see more errors than most. I think I have 120+ validation errors on the 1.02 app but not sure how many have been done in total.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast