Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SETI.USA #1 Bird Watching Team

Friend of SETI.USA

Re: SETI.USA #1 Bird Watching Team

That's about all I do do, look for any sort of Movement from either the Bird or the grass that it's in. Sometimes it's just a brief 1/2 second where the grass might move up slightly, then you have to decide whether it was from the bird or the wind. I wouldn't worry to much about getting/marking them wrong, I get some wrong myself.

Their going to be going to a different Viewing Interface pretty soon, I've already run a lot of Video's on it already trying to get used to it. So all the Video's in the Old Interface we're just trying to blast thru them as fast as we can, if there's any doubt at all in my mind whether the Bird is there or not I just mark Unsure for Bird Present & Absent, everybody else is doing the same. The more you watch the more you catch on to the birds movements & how to spot them if their there ...

Friend of SETI.USA

I should note that the Badge Levels are based on Valid Seconds watched & that you'll always get some Credit/Valid Seconds no matter how bad you Mis-Mark the Video. Right now there are 8 Markings for each Video so you get 1/8 Credit/Valid Seconds for each correct Mark.

With the New Interface it's going to be based on how many Event's you correctly Mark on how much Credit you get. Also with the New Interface some of the Video's can be almost 5 Hr's long. That's not a bad thing though, if you jack up the speed of the Video to 12x or 16x if your brave enough on the one's where you can see the bird you can zip thru them fairly fast & you get 5 Hr's worth of Credit/Valid Second's. What I like to do is just set it at 16x & go do something else for awhile like watch shorter video's on my wife's Laptop while the longer video downloads. Then when it's done I use the slider & go back & forth on the video looking for hiccup's or fluctuations in the Video. Then I'll try to zero in on those hiccup's & generally that's where you'll see the bird moving.

Another thing is none of the Video watching Credit is BOINC Credit, it's just an In Project thing, I fought to get it as BOINC Credit but nobody had my back so I lost out ...
    Last edited by STE\/E; 12-17-13 at 07:25 AM.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    This is something you have to Physically do yourself . . . I'm the only Person in the World with that Badge ...
    That is pretty awesome! Thanks for doing doing that, must have taken quite a bit of time!

Friend of SETI.USA

At the badge Level I'm at it's well over 4000 Hr's when you figure in all the Video's I got Credit for, the Video's I didn't get Credit for & the Video's I looked at but never marked for 1 reason or the other ... But you can speed the Video's up so it's really hard to tell how much actual time I've spent Viewing them, a whole lot is all I know ...
    Last edited by STE\/E; 12-18-13 at 04:07 AM.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    At the badge Level I'm at it's well over 4000 Hr's when you figure in all the Video's I got Credit for, the Video's I didn't get Credit for & the Video's I looked at but never marked for 1 reason or the other ... But you can speed the Video's up so it's really hard to tell how much actual time I've spent Viewing them, a whole lot is all I know ...
    All I know is that every one I've done recently, someone named STE\/E is my wingman.
    6r39 7r199

Friend of SETI.USA

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    All I know is that every one I've done recently, someone named STE\/E is my wingman.
    Who is that Guy ... o_O

Friend of SETI.USA

I just moved up 1 Badge Level to a Triple Emerald Badge for watching 24 weeks (14,515,200 seconds) of validated video, the Team is still in First Place too ...

Gold Member

That is one sick badge...and a lot of time watching mostly grass and wind.

Congrats!
    6r39 7r199

Diamond Member

It takes a lot of grass to watch a lot of grass.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Friend of SETI.USA

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    It takes a lot of grass to watch a lot of grass.
    ... lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast