Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who walks amongst us?

Who walks amongst us?

A simple check at Boincstats shows an awful lot of red dots. So lets say 30 projects are running. My RAC wanders around 110 - 160 out of 2,711,538. Neither of these numbers can be right, otherwise you would see 100,000 crunchers at each project. I'm at one now that has 170. So my question is how many actual crunchers are there? It's not 2.7 mil, 40k? 50k? How low is the actual number? Anybody have some thoughts on this. How many a year ago? How fast are we sliding? Keep it serious, I'd like to know what info is out there.

Gold Member

Re: Who walks amongst us?

I think it is like some judges here in the states, you are there for life, but in this case even death does not remove you as a cruncher. It also means that you signed up doesn't mean you ever crunched a credit. The number of active crunchers have to be way lower than that number.
    https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-1240.png[/url]

Diamond Member

I am sure that Bok would be able to tell us how many CPID's have earned credits over (say) the last 30 days.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Advisor - Stateside Division

It might not be completely accurate given split cpid's and such, but a quick count of users with activity in the last 28 days shows 254,231

Diamond Member

Thanks Bok!
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Diamond Member

I am out of crunching since April and without input credit since then, except for this last week maybe, that doesnt mean that I died or stopped crunching, it is a temporary situation, maybe the same is happening to other crunchers.

I have seen along this time crunchers that stopped for long and then come back as I have seen people that download Boinc inscribe in one project and never crunch, this is more usual with Seti maybe because Seti is usually out for short periods.

At least half of the new crunchers come to crunch Seti but there are other reasons, I think one year of sabattic time would be reasonable for any personal problems that RL sometimes brings.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Gold Member

Looking at our team on BOINCStats, less than 1300 users of the 17,000 users on the team had credit this week and 2042 team members had credit this month.
    That means that in the past month, we have had at almost 700 team members who did nothing at all this week! It looks like many of them crunched a single WU this month or crunched for just a few days.

Given that a current desktop/laptop will get > 1K per day, it looks like less that 33% of the team members crunched for more than a month -- ever. So, if 1 in 3 quit after less than a month of crunching, how do we convince them to stick with it?
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Friend of SETI.USA

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Looking at our team on BOINCStats, less than 1300 users of the 17,000 users on the team had credit this week and 2042 team members had credit this month.
    That means that in the past month, we have had at almost 700 team members who did nothing at all this week! It looks like many of them crunched a single WU this month or crunched for just a few days.

Given that a current desktop/laptop will get > 1K per day, it looks like less that 33% of the team members crunched for more than a month -- ever. So, if 1 in 3 quit after less than a month of crunching, how do we convince them to stick with it?
    It befuddles my mind on your rationality, wouldn't way more than 700 Team Members not have done nothing given your figures ???

I see it, that is a huge difference comparing 1 month to 1 week. It's well worth digging a little deeper to see what caused the difference. Bok, everyone, thanks for the input, some of this info might be worth digging into.

Advisor - Stateside Division

For this team only, I get 2097 distinct CPID's who have credit in the last 28 days and 1808 who have credit in the last 7 days.

Long running wu's (PrimeGrid or RNAWorld spring to mind) could be the cause of some of that difference I suppose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast