Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Asteroids@Home: New applications for GPU released

Platinum Member

Re: Asteroids@Home: New applications for GPU released

And they released another new version again today. They seem to be getting faster and faster with each release but don't have results from today's yet.

Gold Member

You guys should check out this member: http://asteroidsathome.net/boinc/sho...p?userid=50714.
    Look at his CPU power, 81 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v2 @ 2.80GHz with 32 cores. That makes a total of 2592 cores!!!!

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    And they released another new version again today. They seem to be getting faster and faster with each release but don't have results from today's yet.
    Okay, running 4 now. I'll report back tomorrow.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    480 credits per task

• Titan w/ DP turned on: 1300 seconds, 31900 per day
    • Haswell i7-4770k with AVX app: 5500 seconds, 7540 per thread per day, 60300 per system per day
    • IB i7-3770k with SSE3 app: 8100 seconds, 5100 per thread per day, 41000 per system per day

Conclusion: Even with TITAN, still a waste to run on a GPU.

Note: SB and IB do have AVX. But 7.2.x BOINC doesn't know it. So they don't get the AVX app. BOINC does see the AVX in haswell, so you can see the improved run times. In fact, Haswell has AVX 2.0, and I think that would still beat the SB and IB, even if they could get the AVX app.
    I need to correct the previous numbers. I believe the Titian was on normal (reduced) DP, and did them in 1300 seconds. With enhanced DP/slower clock, and with the new app, it just now ran them in ~1600 seconds.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

In light of the current Asteroids challenge, Zombie do you think I should run them on your old GTX 590? I mean, is it worth it?

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    In light of the current Asteroids challenge, Zombie do you think I should run them on your old GTX 590? I mean, is it worth it?
    I'd have the same question on the GTX 580. I'm new to Asteroids - should I just do Asteroids CPU units and start crunching Einstein GPU units?

Platinum Member

If you're participating in the Einstein challenge, should definitely save GPUs for that. If you're not entering Einstein and want the best possible results on Asteroids, then yes, use your GPUs. The credits are horrible, but it's more credit than you would've gotten without it. The GPU WUs use extremely little CPU resources, so if you're like me with 4 GPUs in the same box, you could load all 8 CPU threads up and all 4 GPUs and crunch 12 Asteroids WUs at the same time.

Past Administrator

Understood, thanks. So in a challenge situation it *may* be worth it, depending on the hardware you own (in your case it gives a 50% boost) but if just looking for a GPU project to run, then it doesn't pan out. I wonder if they will get it efficient enough where it's worth running on a GPU sometime in the future?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234