Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you participate in a distributed sensor array? [poll inside]

-horn-

Question Would you participate in a distributed sensor array? [poll inside]

We humbly ask for your opinion if you would take part in a distributed sensor array and help science, if you have to buy the needed hardware for it.

After watching the video "Monitoring the Spectrum: Building Your Own Distributed RF Scanner Array" by Andrew Reiter [30c3], I really liked his idea and contacted him. I asked him if he thinks he could use Constellation for it and he was very positive about it. So now we both would like to know if YOU are also interested in it in particular and in sensor arrays in general. This will give us a small overview what we have to keep in mind during possible preparations.

Sensor arrays with BOINC are nothing new. For example there is Quake Catcher Network where you can be part by plugging small accelerometers to your PC and help detect nearby earth quake tremors. So in case we would ask you to help in a similar science objectives, what do you do? To give you an idea, watch the bottom linked video!

Click here for the online poll!

Thank your for taking your time and vote. And please tell your friends and share the vote!

Andreas and Andrew

Platinum Member

Re: Would you participate in a distributed sensor array? [poll inside]

I did watch the video (yes, the whole hour of it ) and I'd be interested in more information on how your project would utilize them. Andrew talks about huge amounts of data and putting together antenna arrays individually. Would the BOINC participants need to put up for more than the USB Dongle and maybe a single antenna? That I'd consider do-able, but not building this vast array like Andrew is talking about for a single location.

(And I'm not on any of the Social Media sites required to log in to vote, so I can't vote on the poll. )

-horn-

Hi Mumps,

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    ... That I'd consider do-able, but not building this vast array like Andrew is talking about for a single location.
    (And I'm not on any of the Social Media sites required to log in to vote, so I can't vote on the poll. )
    firstly, use the "anonymous" option on the bottom, then you don't need one of those social media access .

And yes, I am fully backing your point! It's doable, but with a scaled down approach. That is what I proposed to Andrew. He can still do the thing he presented there and have us BOINC users doing a small part of this, but perhaps with one or two dongles. Small data droplets are still data . I also just found out about his project when watching the 30c3 stream and asked him if he could need help and infrastructure with Constellation. Overcrowded RF is an important space issue to be solved, and mapping it is the first step. And I like the idea to buy a simple 10 dollar usb dongle and that's basically it! .
    And now I am here and ask you what you think about and if you would help! So thanks for the reply so far!

Andreas

circeseye

you can vote anonymously its on the bottom. also i wouldnt mind this but yea building a huge set of arrays is well a lot. kind of curious if satellite dishes could be used to gather signals

-horn-

moien,

Quote Originally Posted by circeseye View Post
    also i wouldnt mind this but yea building a huge set of arrays is well a lot. kind of curious if satellite dishes could be used to gather signals
    yeah, but brick by brick it adds to the full building . When I watched his talk I liked his idea, but I thought by msyself, that I would only place one or maximum two of those antennas in my garden. So with this smaller concept I think Constellation would be nice to have there to bring access to such an array to more people like me.

And yes, receiving satellites is our/my ultimate goal And there is also a video for that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RJSLFP7yyA

So thanks for voting! Only 2 left for 100!!!

Andreas

circeseye

Quote Originally Posted by -horn- View Post
    moien,

yeah, but brick by brick it adds to the full building . When I watched his talk I liked his idea, but I thought by msyself, that I would only place one or maximum two of those antennas in my garden. So with this smaller concept I think Constellation would be nice to have there to bring access to such an array to more people like me.

And yes, receiving satellites is our/my ultimate goal And there is also a video for that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RJSLFP7yyA

So thanks for voting! Only 2 left for 100!!!

Andreas
    you misunderstood me. not using satellites (good idea thou). but to use satellite dishes to pull in signals.(like taking a direct tv dish and modifying it) instead of antennas

-horn-

Quote Originally Posted by circeseye View Post
    you misunderstood me. not using satellites (good idea thou). but to use satellite dishes to pull in signals.(like taking a direct tv dish and modifying it) instead of antennas
    Hi,

we also don't want to use satellites for communication, just receiving their signals and track them .
    And antenna dishes are also just antennas, so for me there is no difference. in fact satellite dishes use small horn antennas and the reflector. So they could be used. We want to avoid them, because you must steer them with motors, which costs money! or you only have some 10° of effective opening angles not covering a huge segment of the sky, what we want.
    But yes, it could be used.

Andreas

PS: 112 votes so far, thanks!

Past Administrator

Okay, now at 131 votes. Just got around to adding mine.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

circeseye

Quote Originally Posted by -horn- View Post
    Hi,

we also don't want to use satellites for communication, just receiving their signals and track them .
    And antenna dishes are also just antennas, so for me there is no difference. in fact satellite dishes use small horn antennas and the reflector. So they could be used. We want to avoid them, because you must steer them with motors, which costs money! or you only have some 10° of effective opening angles not covering a huge segment of the sky, what we want.
    But yes, it could be used.

Andreas

PS: 112 votes so far, thanks!
    actually if we were able to modify a dt tv dish the motors are easily home made. at least in my case. i know how to set up an easy motor where it can constantly swing back and forth in 45^ 180^ or just spin in circles with even up and down variances. and also i have access to tons of them damn dishes cause i remodel homes and they tell me to take them off and throw them away lol so i can have one heck of a set up

Platinum Member

So, just take 36 of them arranged in an outward facing circle. Bam! Full 360 degree coverage!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast