Thread: DNA@Home merging projects

Diamond Member

DNA@Home merging projects

Hi Everyone, Here's an update to the status of DNA@Home. Currently, I have a student who has been working on getting files in the appropriate format for the application here. I think we're pretty close to getting work units sent back out. As opposed to what we were doing before, the new data files are from the human genome, and we'll be looking for protein binding sites that could potentially be related to different cancer causing genes -- I will get more information from this from our biologists here. I also want to merge DNA@Home, Wildlife@Home and SubsetSum@Home so I can more easily provide feedback. I'm open to suggestions on how to do this. Right now I'm thinking about moving all the accounts into a new project and then have a combined forum for all three. If anyone has any good suggestions for an easy way to merge the three, I'd appreciate it. Will have more updates, and hopefully more work units soon. --Travis

More...

Diamond Member

Re: DNA@Home merging projects

Time to have an opinion, and speak up.

He is suggesting shutting down all three projects, and then creating a single new project.

This would mean missing out on any goals for the current project, if you haven't already met them.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Guess I'll go to NFS forums and suggest he run the 3 projects "PrimeGrid" style, aka just let them be subjects....

Edit: Done ---> http://volunteer.cs.und.edu/dna/foru...wrap=true#1486
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 01-23-14 at 01:23 AM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Friend of SETI.USA

Travis seems to bit off more than he can chew, neither the DNA or SubSetSum Project have had work for 6 Month's or more so basically their Dead Projects. On the Wildlife Project there's been very little work too for the last 6 Month's or so although they have been trying to get some Wu's for OSX & Linux with Windows on the back Burner, Trouble is it takes forever to get anything done, again showing he's got more to do than he can handle. The New Video Interface was supposed to be in place over 2 Month's ago, it's always by the weekend it'll be done but the weekends come & go, guess he never specifys which weekend ... lol ... If there's never going to be any work what difference does it make if he merges the 3 Projects ??? If there's no work for any of the 3 Projects your never going to reach any goal other than what you already have reached ... !!!