Thread: O'Project Shor on virtual box

Silver Member

O'Project Shor on virtual box

Is it possible to run Shor's Algorithm(which doesn't run on windows) using the boinc virtual box ?
    Last edited by DrBackJack; 01-24-14 at 05:36 PM.

Diamond Member

Re: O'Project Shor on virtual box

vbox allows virtual machines to be run.

Some BOINC projects issue a mini linux operating system to the BOINC client, and then the BOINC client gets tasks and runs those tasks inside the mini-OS, which is inside vbox. Confusing, I know. Oproject is not that kind of BOINC project. So no, you cannot use the BOINC and vbox like that with oproject.

However, yes, you can use vbox to run the oproject in a full linux virtual machine.

1) Install vbox.
    2) In vbox, create a virtual machine (VM), and install Linux. I prefer Mint. But Ubuntu is also pretty easy.
    3) Boot the VM, install BOINC in the VM, attache BOINC to oproject, anc crunch away.

Those are the basic steps. It's really not that difficult. If you need help, just ask.

I do this on all my windows machines, so that I can run linux tasks when I have to. And on my macs, I have both windows and linux VMs when I have to.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

I get it now.
    Thanks for the info. Zombie as always.

Silver Member

Can somebody explain how to do this in detail ?
    For anyone that tries to do this in the future.
    Assume for a complete newb running a windows machine.

Past Administrator

1) Review the project forums to check the version of VirtualBox they recommended.
    2) Go to https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads and download the project recommended version that matches your OS. Also DL VirtualBox x.x.x Extension Pack (version # must match VBox's) . This gets installed after VBox.
    3) Run the Virtualbox installer. If you choose a non-default location, BOINC will still be able to find it.
    4) Now, double-click the VBox Extension Pack. This will automatically start VBox and request permission to install the pack. Click yes.
    5) Reboot. Start BOINC and run the project.

That should do it.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

I don't think Oproject uses a vbox wrapper for their tasks. If you want to run their tasks, you will have to install vbox, as F$ explained. Then you will need to build a client. A virtual computer. I recommend Mint version of linux. Then once you have that up an running inside vbox, you rub BOINC on that VM, just like you run it on your real computer.

Edit, as for detailed instructions, there is too much to go into here. I suggest irc or that team chat thing, and ask someone to walk you through it real time.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

We started on it this evening on the IRC channel, before he ran out of Computer time. We'll be picking it up again tomorrow.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    We started on it this evening on the IRC channel, before he ran out of Computer time. We'll be picking it up again tomorrow.
    Before or after he kicks the world and surroundings?
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever