Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Laziness or Necessity?

Platinum Member

Laziness or Necessity?

Any way PMs could be increased to 2500 and uploaded images to 256kB? or at least 192kB?

Past Administrator

Re: Laziness or Necessity?

I'll check on increasing upload size but the inbox count? You'll just have to start downloading your messages...

Look for the following at the bottom of your inbox page

Download all Private Messages as:
    XML | CSV | Text

I use the text version when I feel the need to save something.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

This is a storage issue, right? Is Bok out of room? If so, can I help resolve that?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Lol 99% of the time when i search my inbox i'm looking for a link someone referenced which is easy to see because of the color difference from the rest of the text. Downloading it just converts it all to text and i can't find anything anymore Not every link contains the phrase "http", "www." or ".com" either, so can't search that. But fine, we'll justchalk this one to laziness

As for the upload size, it's really killing me. I thought 128kB was the limit. I was trying to upload an image of Precision X for EmSti of OC settings on my Titan this time. The PNG was 393kB. Changed it to JPG and dropped it to 129kB. Removed a piece of it to get it down to 127kB, tried to upload and yet again fail. I've lost count of how many posts turn out incorrectly or that i just gave up on due to this low limit.

I'm with Z. I have no problem making another donation if that gets this problem solved.

Administrator

I'm at about 70% capacity on the drives in the webserver right now, so I will need to increase that in the coming months.

I have no problem increasing these limits though. I've changed PM's to be 5000. As for attachments, it should only be limited by the php settings (which are 2Mb) - unless I'm missing some limit in vBulletin. Will look again.

EDIT - oops, logged in as admin to change the settings and accidently posted as admin too - Bok

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I'm at about 70% capacity on the drives in the webserver right now, so I will need to increase that in the coming months.
    Funds sent! Let me know if you need more.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

On the upload thing....

You don't need to use the server's storage for any of that. Use DropBox (5GBs to start), Copy.com (15GBs to start), Sync.com, Google Drive, etc... These solutions only require you to launch the respective app, drag the image to it's special folder and then right-click the image to grab it's URL.

Be Bok friendly and save Bok's servers....!!!!!

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    On the upload thing....

You don't need to use the server's storage for any of that. Use DropBox (5GBs to start), Copy.com (15GBs to start), Sync.com, Google Drive, etc... These solutions only require you to launch the respective app, drag the image to it's special folder and then right-click the image to grab it's URL.

Be Bok friendly and save Bok's servers....!!!!!
    I'm aware of dropbox, etc. But the issue comes into play when you start factoring in the additional load time caused by referencing stuff on external servers. Surely you've viewed one of duke's post with multiple images and sat there drumming your fingers on your desk waiting for it to load...or just clicked "Back" before it finishes Some people have turned off the ability to view people's signatures for this reason as well to reduce loading time. I've done that in the past myself when i had a slower connection. I have 30Mb/s now, but many people don't and the additional wait times for them are very noticeable, as in annoying and frustrating. Plus dropbox, etc. is just another account i need to keep up with and another additional step that has to be taken just to post an image. It sounds like laziness, but it's not. It's the hatred i have towards doing things the hard way when i (we) shouldn't have to.

Past Administrator

Oh sorry. I never experience load lag unless one of the sig image servers is having fits.

Oh btw, try using Notepad++ (Link) to read your DL'd as text messages. NP++ has a great set of search features including bookmaking lines. You can then just look through the doc for the bookmarks or use Menu > Search > Bookmark to copy/cut/delete bookmarked lines. I almost never use M$ notepad/wordpad thx to NP++

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

The one thing that doesn't happen, though Bok may not care, is that users almost never ever clean out their store of attachments. I mean does everyone need to keep things from like 3 years ago? That is why I avoid using the forum server for image or file hosting. IMHO it's a waste of his storage space.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast