Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Android credits / watt

Past Administrator

Android credits / watt

Anybody ever done a calculation for credits / watt on these little android devices? I've got POGs running now on an old Motorola Atrix 4G (MB 860) that Zombie convinced me to crunch with. I'm just curious what the efficiency might be of the ARM chips inside these things compared to our Intel / AMD hogs. BOINC says it's an ARMV7 rev 0 (v7l), which I have found out is the instruction set.
    Specs sheets on 'Net tell me the Atrix 4G has the Nvidia Tegra2 (Dual Cortex A9) inside. I can find all kinds of info except the wattage. Best guess?

Looks like I'm getting 0.0066 credits per second on this thing. I wonder how many watts it's sucking down?
    My i7 gets 0.026 credits per second. That's 4x the credits per second per WU, and the i7 crunches on 8 of those WUs every second of course. So (for sake of easy academics) let's say the i7 burns 96W to do 32X the work as the ARM CPU (4 x 8).

This means the Intel i7 Sandy Bridge would burn 3W for every equivalent crunched WU of the ARM CPU. hmmm... so it's definitely a possibility, that if the Tegra 2 CPU is using less than 3W, it is actually more efficient to crunch with than an i7! And I read somewhere the Tegra 4 is considerably more efficient than this old Tegra 2 in this example. Imagine that efficiency...but certainly not as effective as the i7 for building up the credits quickly.

Gold Member

Re: Android credits / watt

So the moral of the story is that if you want to talk to SETI, use a cell phone but if you want to crunch SETI, use a computer. Hmmmm... I guess the new Collatz app for GE microwave ovens probably isn't the best idea either.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    ... Hmmmm... I guess the new Collatz app for GE microwave ovens probably isn't the best idea either.
    I wonder when those will run on Android OS as well?!! Hmmm...guess it's not so far fetched actually; cameras (not smart phone variety) are already being made to run on Android. Imagine the "convenience" of catching your house on fire by remotely starting your nuker from afar - and forgetting it was on, or hitting "100 Min" on accident instead of "10 Min"!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Hmmmm... I guess the new Collatz app for GE microwave ovens probably isn't the best idea either.
    Yeh, that's a dumb idea! It should be for GE refrigerators since they have better cooling

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    ...if the Tegra 2 CPU is using less than 3W, it is actually more efficient to crunch with than an i7!
    Actually i believe the Tegra 2 uses right at 3W. That includes the GPU portion of the chip being active too.

Gold Member

I just got an Amazon Fire TV - it has a quad-core processor with 2Gb RAM... how long before I can CRUNCH on it?!

https://developer.amazon.com/public/...specifications

Platinum Member

Well...it *does* run Android

Platinum Member

And it's an ARMv7 platform...

Silver Member

Madness, I say, madness...heheheh
    It's not the love of a hero, that's why I fear it won't do
    Chad Kroeger

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by FourOh View Post
    I just got an Amazon Fire TV - it has a quad-core processor with 2Gb RAM... how long before I can CRUNCH on it?!

https://developer.amazon.com/public/...specifications
    I'm not sure what took me so long, but I finally took a stab at running BOINC on the Amazon Fire TV. I was able to sideload the Android App and I have World Community Grid running on four cores! I'm not generating a ton of credits (maybe 400-500 points/day), but it is helping me log WCG hours using very little power. I'm not sure how to get WUProp running, as the app gives a list of projects to choose from. There does not appear to be a way to enter a project URL.

Hopefully when new Ebola work is issued, I'll be able to catch some Android units on this. And let's see, at about $100 each, I could have a Zombie-style stack of android crunchers on the cheap!

http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?p...918c728326e241

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast