Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Titan Black Now Obselete

Re: Titan Black Now Obselete

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    Only GPU water cooled loops need apply.
    That makes me nervous for all kinds of reasons. I'm not a hydrophobe, but out-of-the-box closed-loop cooling solutions have a slightly checkered past and too many points of failure for my comfort zone. I really don't want to see that become the "new normal". If it causes closed-loop solutions to become that much more robust and affordable, I'm game, but I'm trying to think of my neighbors and the wider market. It was a commoditized laptop world 7 years ago. It's an increasingly mobile/tablet/console world now. TSMC is running 20nm fab lines... and cranking out mobile SoC stuff on'em. At least server hardware repurposes very well for crunching. What increasingly exotic solutions means for the continued popular existence of my other hobby, PC gaming, is why I give these latest cards the stink eye.

Sure, this thing CAN be run in the right system. And around here are probably the few people who can do it and are willing to pay for it, but c'mon. In every engineering environment I've lived in, "MOAR POWER!" (in the bad sense) has always been an indication you're out of *good* ideas. Both companies have been at build it bigger now for quite some time (while little things like SLI/Xfire or 4K driver/game/app/OS support, which could use more resources with every new release, remain iffy). The Geforce 800 series and the swashbucklers of the Pirate Islands (wharrrever they be) can't come soon enough. If the 800 series lives up to the hints provided by the 750, it'll be a dreadnought for those of us who pay for our power.

I already had to give up on AMD CPUs some time ago. If I have to give up on ATI GPUs I will, with much grief, give them a Viking funeral. Fortunately it looks like all I have to do is plug them in.

Platinum Member

The problem i have with closed-loop cooling being built into a GPU is it dates the hardware. Once the fluid evaporates or the pump fails, the whole thing is useless. This usually happens within 3-5 years; just beyond the warranty of the GPU. If you used it for 2 years, then tried to sell it to get some of your money back, you'd take a significant loss due to no one wanting to chance how much life may be left.

Note to self: Lowball JPM for a 295x in two years...

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    The problem i have with closed-loop cooling being built into a GPU is it dates the hardware. Once the fluid evaporates or the pump fails, the whole thing is useless. This usually happens within 3-5 years; just beyond the warranty of the GPU. If you used it for 2 years, then tried to sell it to get some of your money back, you'd take a significant loss due to no one wanting to chance how much life may be left.
    I counter that with one name...

Swiftech

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    I counter that with one name...

Swiftech
    If only AMD had been that wise. And Asus too, for that matter, with their Ares and Mars silliness.

Is Swift's stuff really that good? Most houses in this area have no A/C, and I'd like to keep at least a couple things chugging in the Summer (that I'm not hiding at work). Is it hydron00b friendly with a little tinkering? I've got some roomy cases with the right mounting spots.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by finalfugue View Post
    Is Swift's stuff really that good?
    Oh i dunno...i have a GTX 580 overclocked at 1700MHz shader and a GTX Titan overclocked at 1071MHz core, both with Swiftech waterblocks and being cooled in the same single 360mm Swiftech radiator with a single Swiftech pump running the show. My temps are 46C and 40C respectively.

Just sayin

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by finalfugue View Post
    I went to Newegg. I went to Tigerdirect. A search for both a 295x and Titan Z yielded some TV mounting brackets, Titanfall, and some lamps. I would call these "paper launches" but I don't want to burn down the forums.

Well what do you know, you can actually buy a 295x on newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150710. I checked on a whim and was surprised to actually see it in stock. Not about to buy it.

Haha. It actually has reviews too! Somehow I doubt one of those is a "verified owner".

Platinum Member

So the Titan Z was supposed to have been released yesterday but Nvidia couldn't do it because it was slower than AMD's R9 295X2 and the TiTan Z costs 2x more. Base clocks were only going to be 695 MHz haha! Nothing but a $3000 joke.

The only good news for Nvidia is regarding their 750 Ti which will become a water cooled true single-slot on May 13th EK is expecting to have their blocks ready by then.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234