Thread: Network problems

Silver Member

Network problems

Hello.
    I can only connect one PC to the internet at the same time.
    All others get no DNS Adress whatever I tried.
    But each and every PC gets full access if connected alone. So I connect and disconnect them 20 times a day, ennoying !
    I have simply an 8 port switch on the modem and for long times this runs without problems.
    None of my friends can help me anymore.

Anyone here who is expert for those things ?

Please write a pm, maybe I can give you remote control over my boxes.

Diamond Member

Re: Network problems

Did you try the usual stuff ipconfig /flushdns, /release, /renew?

This are the first steps on Windows but you can try:
    1. Find out your IP address e.g. go to a website like http://www.whatismyip.com/ it will show you your IP.
    2. Copy It.
    3. Open Network & Sharing Center
    4. Open the Properties of the network you what your IP to change. In my case it is a EVDO modem.
    5. On the Networking tab double-click TCP/IPv4 which will open a window to edit IP and DNS IP address.
    6. On this window Click on "Use the following IP address" and paste that IP you copied at Step 2.
    7. Change the last digit of the IP to any value above it e.g. if its 192.168.23.123 edit the last digit to something like 122 so that the IP becomes 192.168.23.122.
    8. Click OK until all the windows close.
    9. Disconnect from that network.
    10. Reconnect to that network and if it goes as planned the ISP should force a Dynamic IP. Check http://www.whatismyip.com/ if it has changed. If you cannot browse go to Step 6 and select "Obtain an IP address automatically" then Disconnect -> Reconnect the network.

This must solve conf but sometimes having the network disconnected for 48 hours can be needed also, some of the IP problems are tricky and the solution always depend on the OS. Try this first and say something.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Buckingham View Post
    Did you try the usual stuff ipconfig /flushdns, /release, /renew?

This are the first steps on Windows but you can try:
    1. Find out your IP address e.g. go to a website like http://www.whatismyip.com/ it will show you your IP.
    2. Copy It.
    3. Open Network & Sharing Center
    4. Open the Properties of the network you what your IP to change. In my case it is a EVDO modem.
    5. On the Networking tab double-click TCP/IPv4 which will open a window to edit IP and DNS IP address.
    6. On this window Click on "Use the following IP address" and paste that IP you copied at Step 2.
    7. Change the last digit of the IP to any value above it e.g. if its 192.168.23.123 edit the last digit to something like 122 so that the IP becomes 192.168.23.122.
    8. Click OK until all the windows close.
    9. Disconnect from that network.
    10. Reconnect to that network and if it goes as planned the ISP should force a Dynamic IP. Check http://www.whatismyip.com/ if it has changed. If you cannot browse go to Step 6 and select "Obtain an IP address automatically" then Disconnect -> Reconnect the network.

This must solve conf but sometimes having the network disconnected for 48 hours can be needed also, some of the IP problems are tricky and the solution always depend on the OS. Try this first and say something.
    If you didnt try the first ones here it goes the instructions on Win7 to do it.
    How to Obtain a New IP Address From the Dhcp Server
    How to Renew an IP Address in Windows 7

Instructions
    1 Locate the Command Prompt program in your Windows Programs list, found in the start menu or write "cmd" on search. Right click the Command Prompt program entry and click 'Run as Administrator' in the resulting menu.
    2 Enter your administrator password if prompted. Click OK to continue running Command Prompt as administrator.
    3 Use the command 'ipconfig /release' without the quotes to release your IP address. Use the command 'ipconfig /renew', again without the quotes, to obtain a new IP address after you have released your previous IP.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Silver Member

Im happy, anything works fine and all my 6 boxes are online at the same time. (The 7th one is still work in progress)
    No Idea what the problem could have been. Today Ive installed a Wireless Gigabit Router and
    three new WLan sticks and everything is ok. This should push my WUProp output.
    Its still a question why 2 different Switches dont worked as they should.
    PS.: (Thanks Duke for the suggestions)

Past Administrator

WiFi is prone to interference form microwaves (both appear at the same freq.) from Cell Towers, Ma-Bell "Line of Sight" Towers, etc.. If one or more are near you, or sit between your modem/gateway and your devices (like connecting a house to "Guest house" in the back of your property), then they can mangle your connection. IIRC line of sight towers can cause trouble even when perpendicular to your device connection.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

My Boxes are all in one room and the switches were cable only. I think I insulted the Software somehow.
    Whatever, now it works and Im so happy about this.