Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Collatz: Phasing out Multi-Size

Gold Member

Re: Collatz: Phasing out Multi-Size

Quote Originally Posted by Al McAdams View Post
    LI'm 7 hours in and 20% done. Gpu load is 50% on one and 80% on the other 7970. The .config file is set. 2 cores are free.
    Where the large config files set before the large wus started? It not, I would think about dumping the running ones. You could try it on the 50%. The load should be the same as solo collatz.

Administrator

No they weren't. I dumped them and the loads came up to 99% on one and the other is pegged at 100% on the replacement wus. The 100% I find unusual and that one is running sloooow. The one at 99% is moving along at a pretty good clip.

Silver Member

OMG! I just got the first GPU task of the new tasks. Since I'm currently only running GPU tasks for Collatz, I have no idea what the cpu tasks look like. According to Boinc, this one ATI GPU task is going to take me 32 hours to do. YIKES!!! I hope the credits will reflect the long time needed to crunch this. I'm hoping the estimate is a mistake. If it is even remotely close, I can tell Collatz will be put totally away until I can get around to crunching it again with my cpu's. It's just too scarey for us little crunchers now. I'll probably move back to seti@home until I find another good gpu project to crunch on.

Really? I don't think they're that bad, about what I expected. I did what EmSti said about reconfiguring the new app files and dumped those that started with old settings (all before reading it, which made me feel smart for a n00b). Also, I'm not sure the new smaller apps/WUs have premiered yet (anyone running those have any input?). Those may better suit your hardware and you can adjust preferences soon. AFAIK old solo_collatz is still going strong and has reasonable sized WUs. I'm sure Slicker's credit granting scheme will remain much the same, so in the end you should end up about where you are now. Just with faster cards you don't have to deal with all the cycling. Also from what I've seen the first time BOINC sees something it pretty much freaks and takes a WAG. I'm sure someone here can help get it sorted- once the dust settles.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by finalfugue View Post
    I'm sure someone here can help get it sorted- once the dust settles.
    I am watching it closely. I went ahead and unchecked the Large Collatz Conjecture option to see if anything different rolls out of the pachinko machine in way of gpu tasks. Every change always needs a little time for the dust to settle so the cleanup can begin.

Silver Member

I went ahead and re-check the large option due to me missing changing the app_config file. I knew something was up when I checked my card usage. Just in case, how should the app_config file look now? Not sure if the placement of <name>large_collatz</name> is right along with the <name>solo_collatz</name> and other info. My usage was at 74% on the video card and is showing 0.904 cpu usage.

After a few more changes, it is showing to be running at the sweet spot.Unfortunately, my gpu usage has now dropped to 25%. Somethings not right here. I think I broke it!

Maybe it broke itself?? It just errored out and loaded up a ton of solo tasks. The gpu is back to showing 99%. I guess things do work out on their own after all.
    Last edited by Shandia; 04-26-14 at 07:10 AM.

Administrator

Well, I've only got 1 7970 that will run the large wus well. The other is at 55% and 11 hours in, both in the same box. The 570s really aren't fast enough for my taste. Back to solo for me.

Administrator

Al, check in your projects folder and make sure that it didn't download the 32 bit app on you. The slower GPU "might" be running the 32 bit version and if so you need to put your settings into the "new" 32 bit config file.

Last night the same thing that happened to EmSti got me. BOINC in its infinite wisdom decided I needed to try the 32 bit app as a speed comparison. When I got up this morning my credits were about 1/2 of normal on the GTX 780 and that was the problem. I put the settings into the new config file and things are back to normal now.

PS I tried 2 of the large WU and had no problem with them. One granted credit at a 727k daily run rate and the 2nd at 777k. My card has been doing 805-830k per day so I went back to Solo.

Silver Member

The solo tasks seem to be working for me. I almost can't wait for the ton of solo tasks to run out just to give the large another try. In so many ways, I think Boinc 7.2.42 is to blame for some of it. It seems to be a little laggy when it comes to changes on the fly. On my core 2 quad with an nvidia 9500gt, docking is still having issues and I lost a day due to it. I can also suspend a task and for about 10 seconds, despite showing that the task is suspended, the timer and % is still ticking away. So far I haven't touched it as far as Collatz is concerned. On my core I7 with the HD 5770, the time between me making changes to the app_config to try to get things working like they should, it seems to be taking close to a minute. (I have been changing the cpu thread count to see if I'm running 8 cpu tasks or 7cpu tasks after each change.) I would love to know if what I have for the app_config is correct or not. (kinda why I want another large file to come my way.) I tried a few different arrangements in the file and when the large was configured and working with the correct cpu usage.....then errored out, the solo loaded up and ran at the default settings. After making more changes in an attempt to "fix" it, it took a while for me know if the changes worked or not. Now, the solo seems to be working right. This is what I have the app_config as of currently. (well.....I actually have the cpu running at 0.98 instead of at 1.0. But I'm sure you get the idea with this.)

<app_config>
    <app>
    <name>solo_collatz</name>
    <max_concurrent>1</max_concurrent>
    <gpu_versions>
    <gpu_usage>1.0</gpu_usage>
    <cpu_usage>1.0</cpu_usage>
    </gpu_versions>
    </app>
    <app>
    <name>large_collatz</name>
    <max_concurrent>1</max_concurrent>
    <gpu_versions>
    <gpu_usage>1.0</gpu_usage>
    <cpu_usage>1.0</cpu_usage>
    </gpu_versions>
    </app>
    </app_config>

Administrator

Nope, no 32 bit app installed. I'll let them finish, then go back to solo.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast