Thread: How sad is it

How sad is it

Yes, how sad is it? Just swapped out all the appliances in the kitchen with flimsy new ones ( the wife does like them ). It's been 2 months and my old ones must have been power hogs, yes the old refrigerator was colder, the dishwasher was sturdier and the stove weighed 50 pounds more. Now here is my query, after 2 months it looks like a $60 a month savings in juice. I think most of that is coming from the stove. How should I optimize the "available" electricity? Yes, fix the kitchen so I can crunch more. Let's hear the ideas before my spouse figures it out.

Silver Member

Re: How sad is it

If you use an electric hot water heater, make sure it's well insulated and insulate as much of the hot water line as you can get to... hot water tanks are notorious wattage thieves...

If it's not broken, give me 5 more minutes!

Past Administrator

Get a more energy efficient microwave?

Outside of the kitchen, replace any/all conventional TVs/Big Screens with LCD flat screens. If your not an esoteric audio nut like me, update your surround sound system. Go for high efficiency speakers and amp/integrated amp/receiver.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    If your not an esoteric audio nut like me, update your surround sound system. Go for high efficiency speakers and amp/integrated amp/receiver.
    As the owner of several Class A devices including a vacuum tube amplifier- some sacrifices just aren't worth making. One life, two ears.

Solar toaster?

Gold Member

If the new stove is natural gas, of course it will save electricity!

Regardless, you have can spend $60 a month more on crunching with no loss to the bottom line!
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Gold Member

It is possible to save energy in domestic sector. I can easily fill you with a list of things to do but I prefer to follow you to the US Department of Energy where at least for industrial energy savings I was using their tips when I was working as an energy efficiency analyst. So you can start here:

http://www.energy.gov/energysaver/ar...roperty-owners

or

http://www.energy.gov/energysaver/ar...r-rental-homes

You can easily explore the Department webpage. In case you want some number please let me know. I have a huge worksheet database on how to save energy in almost everything, just need to update the figures to the price there of gas, electricity, investments,etc