Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New PC build ideas?

Gold Member

New PC build ideas?

I was planning a 4th PC and possibly rebuilding an older PC or 2 once new CPU from Intel are released (Devil's canyon or 6/8 core Haswell). Well, BlackDragon's Sabertooth will not post and I am starting the RMA process, so I am considering building the 4th PC sooner than later. I have no particular reason to rush, so waiting on the new tech might make the most sense. The purpose of this thread is to ask, if you were going to build a cruncher, what would you use to build it?

Criteria:
    3 to 4 GPU capable; to be filled with R9 295x2 and 7970s. Reminder that the 295x2 over pulls power on the motherboard.
    Keeping power draw in mind, but not main goal.
    Likely to be air cool, but doesn't have to be. If air cool, superior air flow in case.
    Intel CPU based, I want more cores, but not extreme pricing. At a minimum, I will be putting liquid cooler on the CPU.

It will be powered by Antec HCP-1300 with Antec HCP-1000 linked (newer ones have OC communication link), a necessity given the current GPUs. But I am paying a lot for power these days, so it is time to look for ways to save on power and some of these GPUs need to get cycled out as powerful but cheaper to run GPU's come out.

Will Devil's Canyon OCed beat a 6 core Haswell in output, which would be cheaper to run? I expect to the 8 core to be expensive ($1000+) and a big power draw, it might not be worth it.
    Would you wait or build now? What would you build.

Diamond Member

Re: New PC build ideas?

All the 4-GPOU mobos that I have bought in the past are really only 3-GPU mobos. This is because the 4th slot is at the bottom edge of the mobo. And in between that last slot and the edge are always a bunch of headers, usually for the front panel connectors, USB, audo, etc. And if that 4th GPU is double wide, it extends above those headers making it impossible to fully seat the GPU down into the PCIe slot without breaking something. So my question is, are there really any 4-GPU mobos out there, where you can actually use that 4th slot AND use those headers? Maybe the headers are in a different area or something?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Gold Member

In my current 3 GPU boxes, I overcame the header issue by moving the power supply to the top of the case and moving the bottom GPU to that whole and used PCI-E extenders to hook it to the motherboard.

I am intrigued by these split PC cases like Lian Li PC-D600WB . I think Cooler Master (split top to bottom instead of side by side) and others have various versions of these wider cases. Would need to be able to handle extend ATX boards

Gold Member

This motherboard might just be what I want (need is another matter). http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z97_XPO....html#overview looks like a new version on the MSI big bang

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by EmSti View Post
    This motherboard might just be what I want (need is another matter). http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z97_XPO....html#overview looks like a new version on the MSI big bang
    Sweet! One personal caveat: I don't get the industry push for wireless everything. Sure cables can be messy but I prefer the security and reliability cabled connectivity provides.

Side note: Someone on eBay is out of their minds! $899.99 for the Z97 XPOWER AC? Yikes! --> http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221442362034?lpid=82 The only thing crazier is someone actually buying it at that price...........

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Leaning toward Intel's Devils canyon and the MSI Z97 XPower AC when they are released. I will need a new case and I am leaning toward water cooling the cpu and gpus, which I have never done except for the off the shelf water coolers for the cpu (Corsair H100). Any advice of great water cooling setups for 3 video card setups (one card will be dual gpu)? I noticed the Xpower AC board has water cooling built into the board for the heat sinks.

What brands? 2 loops? radiator sizes? that sort of thing. I have some researching to do. I think I even recall reading someone came out with full water cooler block for the r9 295x2

Gold Member

dang it September for Devils canyon cpu http://wccftech.com/intel-paper-laun...ushed-q2-2015/

Platinum Member

dang it September for Devils canyon cpu http://wccftech.com/intel-paper-laun...ushed-q2-2015/
    Don't know how much of that article is actually true. They're saying Broadwell has been pushed to Q2 when Intel's CEO *just said* they'll be available before the holidays: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A4H08P20140518

Also, Iris Pro on Broadwell has 48 EUs, not 40, though HD 4600 does only have 20. I find it very difficult to believe they'll release Devil's Canyon and Haswell-E at the same time, and also release Devil's Canyon that close to the release of Broadwell. No one in their right mind would spend a single dollar on Devil's Canyon if Broadwell were coming out a month later. I'd take that WCCF article with a grain of salt.

Silver Member

I was planning a 4th PC and possibly rebuilding an older PC or 2 once new CPU from Intel are released (Devil's canyon or 6/8 core Haswell).

When you get to building please grace us with some pictures! Good luck!
    It's not the love of a hero, that's why I fear it won't do
    Chad Kroeger

Gold Member

I have decided a few thing and will continue to look over the next few weeks/month. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Decision 1: Name LavaDragon (it's a theme baby, what can you do)
    Decision 2: Obsidian 900d, got one for under $300. (the name and the case go hand in hand)
    Still a lot for a case, but it is a lot of case.

Other decision amde, just not purchased yet:
    MZ97 XPOWER AC (XL-ATX MB with water cooling PMW)
    Devils Canyon
    Swiftech APOGEE XL PPCS Custom Dragon II Edition (I can't help myself)

Decision's in flux:
    Thinking 480 radiator and 360 radiator; loop running from pump to cpu to 360 (top) to 3 gpus (r9 295x2, 280x and/or 7970, still deciding) to 480 (in case bottom) (no brand picked yet) might leave 295x2 on its own water cooler until x-mas time.
    Dual D5/MPC655 with Bitspower BP-2D5TOPP-BK Dual D5 Mod Top
    2 Antec Power supplies link to start together
    1/2 ID tubing

Undecided:
    Pump controller: use MPC655-B (controlled on the pump) or Koolance CTR-SPD1224M or the like
    MCP35X2 might be better option, it has PMW control via motherboard fan header
    Tubing color, clear seems appealing to check for air in the tubes or red for style.

Have not look into:
    fittings
    fans
    gpu water blocks (leading towards Aquacomputer cooper waterblocks, especially for 295x2)
    memory
    SSDs c: and d: with hard drive backups (I have spares for that)
    Last edited by EmSti; 06-22-14 at 08:26 PM. Reason: added gpu waterblock, mpc35x2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast