Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BlackDragon Dead

Past Administrator

Re: BlackDragon Dead

Quote Originally Posted by EmSti View Post
    Ordered this with overnight delivery, but I will not be surprised if newegg doesn't get it here by Monday. I am not sure they ship on Saturdays, but thought I would try.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tem=35-119-165
    They process orders on Saturdays but do not ship out. Carriers do not offer weekend pickup, commercial or residential, except maybe FedEx.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Yeah, the part I ordered worked as expect, cpu cooler is mounted and BlackDragon is back on-line. At first, when powered on, the fans kicked and power went off. Eventually I found the issue and it is running. Asus returned my original MB with updated bios, which was nice since it saved me a step. Currently going through windows update. Should be crunching away shortly. Unfortunately the updated bios with the USB improvement didn't have the effect I hoped for; more on that in Bitcoin thread.

Past Administrator

Btw, for anyone interested....

Intel devised the accepted industry specification for PWM fan control. As part of that spec, when a system is started from a cold boot, after power is first applied to it, that system will go through a 5~8 second power cycle, shut down then restart normally. This is to ensure that all PWM controlled fans (via MB fan headers) are operational and that they will spin up to 100%. If either/both of these conditions are not met, the system will not boot.

Most MB makers implemented this PWM spec around the time of Intel's Nehalem architecture (Original Core i7/i5/i3) was released, IIRC.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

So... Black Dragon is up and running, but it is not healthy. Sabertooth only recognizes GPU in slot 1. It will not detect a GPU in the other slots. I have tried/done the following:
    1) Compared all BIOS settings to RedDragon. Both have same BIOS level and every setting is the same. Red sees all its GPUs.
    2) Swapped power connections between GPU1 and GPU2 to rule out lack of power
    3) Tried 2 different GPUs (7970 and 280x) as the second GPU. Unless both magically died, I think it is the slots.
    4) Reinstalled video driver. Didn't help. Device manager doesn't see the second GPU.

I guess I could try moving gpu1 to another slot and try either 280x or 7970 in slot one. Going to let it crunch for awhile and think on it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123