Thread: SIMAP: SIMAP will leave BOINC by end of 2014

Diamond Member

SIMAP: SIMAP will leave BOINC by end of 2014

SIMAP is currently moving towards new algorithms for similarity calculations and scoring. After extensive tests and evaluations during the last months it turned out that the best way to continue SIMAP will be to use dedicated local hardware in our institute. SIMAP will therefore use BOINC only to maintain the current SIMAP database until the end of 2014. BOINC clients for the new SIMAP database will not be released and there will be no workunits for SIMAP after 2014. After 10 very successful years of SIMAP within BOINC this decision was not an easy one for us. However, we thank all users for their support in the past and in the upcoming last period until the end of the year.CheersThomas

More...

Diamond Member

Re: SIMAP: SIMAP will leave BOINC by end of 2014

Better get your MMs fast!
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Gold Member

Eeeek! 100k hours in July-August

Vic (mobile)

Gold Member

How sad, I've enjoyed crunching SIMAP.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by artemis8 View Post
    How sad, I've enjoyed crunching SIMAP.

Looks like I started crunching SIMAP in 2006, and I am pretty sure I joined very near the beginning. That's 8 years ago, but they say they have been BOINC crunching for 10? So I looked at the project graph, and it matches mine:

Either their math is wrong, or maybe BOINCstats just doesn't have the history that far back?

edit: seti graph goes back to 2004.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

Taking a look, the oldest SIMAP-account is from 13. December 2005, meaning they'll be just past 9 years at the end.

Past Administrator

Sad news but I don't get it. IMO the cost savings of not having to constantly fix problems every time DA updates code cannot pay for all the energy the project will consume running it in-house. Me thinks that is just an excuse but I could be way off...

Oh well. So long SIMAP and thanks for helping Team SETI.USA shine last year. We totally crushed all who dared oppose us during those monthly challenges.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

It might be a sign that DC is coming to an end. The trend toward tablets and away from PCs in the general population plus the availability of low-cost, high-power computers running on solar power, dramatically changes the DC advantage. Better find a new hobby.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by myshortpencil View Post
    It might be a sign that DC is coming to an end. The trend toward tablets and away from PCs in the general population plus the availability of low-cost, high-power computers running on solar power, dramatically changes the DC advantage. Better find a new hobby.
    You still have prime hunting, factoring integers....all the math projects will survive...hehehe...the rest is bullshit.