Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OProject@Home: ALX is now available.

Diamond Member

OProject@Home: ALX is now available.

ALX is now available (test tasks from the new generator).

More...

Diamond Member

Re: OProject@Home: ALX is now available.

Just so everyone is aware, these are non-CPU tasks. AKA free credits. There are apps for just about every OS out there, including android.

I am pulling down over 12k/day of FREE credits. VMs are handy here....
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Administrator

Unless they have changed the WU so they are now tagged as NCI then they will wind up screwing up the BOINC scheduler and reserving a full thread.

Diamond Member

They are not showing as NCI. But they behave as NCI anyway. No impact to CPU or GPU tasks. They run for only 16 seconds anyway. And with the server back off of 10 minutes, not must damage that is even possible. Yep, 6 tasks per hour, each running 16 seconds....12k per day for me.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    They are not showing as NCI. But they behave as NCI anyway. No impact to CPU or GPU tasks. They run for only 16 seconds anyway. And with the server back off of 10 minutes, not must damage that is even possible. Yep, 6 tasks per hour, each running 16 seconds....12k per day for me.
    Yeh, that sounds about right however I ran them on the 1st day they were available and the BOINC scheduler would reserve a full thread for them after the 1st one. So it may only be using 16 seconds of compute time but when the scheduler won't allow another task on that thread for the 10 minutes it takes to complete then it is in effect running as non NCI. When you are running 12 tasks that take 30 minutes then anytime a new ALX was downloaded it would get to run almost immediately ... I guess due to debt. Anyway, after the challenge I will look into it again, but I'm not going to sacrifice a thread per machine at this time even though I want to upgrade to a silver ALX badge. It has been a very long time since they had anyting available.

Diamond Member

I am not seeing any of the consequences you are seeing. This is with win, linux, and android machines.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    I am not seeing any of the consequences you are seeing. This is with win, linux, and android machines.
    That great, others on their forum have seen the same thing I saw. Maybe they've fixed it. I certainly hope so because I would really like to upgrade my badge

Silver Member

Yeah, ALX has been running out so I put on the boinc auto updater set to every 12 minutes.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrBackJack View Post
    Yeah, ALX has been running out so I put on the boinc auto updater set to every 12 minutes.
    You can't do that. Oproject has a 606 second mandatory server back off. Every time you update before that 606 seconds, the clock starts over. You'll never get work.

Platinum Member

12 minutes = 720 seconds. I'd think that would be OK...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast