Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total BOINC Credits

Gold Member

Total BOINC Credits

Thoughts to ponder...

Yeah, the impossibility of fair cross project parity means total boinc credits really doesn't mean anything, but since the stats sites still post total credit as the main stat seen on the team stats pages so you have to admit that it still counts for something. No consider that Sic has DOUBLE our daily output!!! While a bunch of people jumped aboard Sic just to see if the underdog could beat SG and SUSA, it looks like a whole lot more fair weather fans decided to jump aboard after they took #1 just so they could say they are on the #1 team. That's sad. I pity them. Sheep. Or is it lemmings?

Anyone notice that the Polish National Team is now outproducing SG and beating us by 10 million credits per day? Granted, it will take them a couple years to catch us and a couple more to catch SG at that rate, but have been rallying their team members so they may be able to lessen the gap sooner than that.

At least one BOINC team has successfully merged with another. They contacted all the project admins and asked them to manually move the credits and team members from one to another. After getting a confirmation via email from both team's founders, I went ahead and moved the members over to the other team, changed the founder, removed the credits from the old team and added them to the new team. Both teams were small, so it wasn't like SG merged with Sic or anything like that, but it proves it could be done IF (and that is a capital IF) we could ever convince another team to merge with us. The biggest challenge is that the team name can't change because that would wipe out the stats since the name is the unique identifier for teams. Users' have GUIDs or CPIDs. Computers have CPIDs (needed to have crappy cross project parity stats). Teams only have names.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Past Admin

Re: Total BOINC Credits

A good proof on how itīs done is LAF...

LAF is in fact a bunch of small "teams" or groups (if you prefer that) merged under the banner of LAF...

I can be done. No doubt about that. This team just donīt want it bad enough.

I am retiring from this discussion. We have been over and over this, so many times in the last 3 years - and absolutely NOTHING has come out of it yet. So I am considering this as a dead issue.

I think we stand a better chance, if we did what the other teams do. Focus on 3 projects and crunch those until the end. Screw cross parity credits. We canīt be #1 in all projects anyway.
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Diamond Member

I understand how difficult is to say this. I am having difficulty to say it.

This team would get much more if was an International Team, or had a satellite team to crunch with us under the international flag. I know that we have teams that do it already but is not at one hundred per cent.

It is the price to pay for being a country team. LAF and Sicituradastra are internacional teams. Yes, is not easy to talk about it.

I see the USA as the most internacional country in most of the things and received influences from all over the world but in some you are more closed than most of the countries. I am here as a portuguese let us say as one ally as Portugal is with his small forces a bit everywhere and my life couldn't be more seemed with John Phillip de Sousa since my parents and my emotional way of seeing life.

As I said in the beginning is not very easy to talk about others nation and ask you to be an internacional team, well is not easy to say the least. If I had some judgement I would shut up now and that I will do. I will give a video about it as I don't write so good.

Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Platinum Member

I really don't think anyone has a problem being an International team. The problem is, our name. Some have a very big attachment to the name and the team focus if you will to unite the US crunchers. We have not had much succes in that area. If we were to abandon the original premis of the team, will we loose people? This has always been a problem that keeps more of the international body of crunchers from comming aboard.

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

Diamond Member

I know Crazybob, the main strengh of the team is what avoid it to grow more. Any satellite team would have the aspiration to grow sooner or later.

If there was a way ... but I am working on it. A new strategy for having new members a better strategy for calling brand new crunchers and start growing consistently.

The problem is the team is too big and it is not big enough, not to defeat Sicituradastra. Some brainstorm and new ideas would be nice, sometimes small things are very important as posting the dayly credits and call the members in here having a stronger participation.

If you need me in anything just say it.

Duke

Credit wise, everything missing are 'just' about 60 x AMD 7970 running on DirT. No matter if run by one guy or 20.

Only a minority of crunchers gets active on forums - that's something especially big teams have to live with. But you guys really built something over the last years. You have so many friends, dedicated members and brilliant team work. Take pride in that, the word will spread. I think merging is an option, growing is an option and adding new pieces to the pie is an option. Happy to contribute where I can.

And on a personal note, you should do more voice chats. You simply are a lovely bunch, just recalling the Pentathlon chats.

Silver Member

Might only take 20 or 30 once people see us moving up again might build momentum from new recruits!

Thanks Mad Matt! For your compliments and more so for all your help in the challenges. It really is awesome knowing that the back up is there when Seti.usa really needs it! Thank you and all the other Friends who pitch in!

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkarl1 View Post
    Might only take 20 or 30 once people see us moving up again might build momentum from new recruits!

Thanks Mad Matt! For your compliments and more so for all your help in the challenges. It really is awesome knowing that the back up is there when Seti.usa really needs it! Thank you and all the other Friends who pitch in!
    Growing always is a good idea, and I think somewhere in USA and all over the English speaking, native and non-native, world there should be some AMD 7970 owners, by far exceeding the number of 60 cards. Otherwise I reckon AMD would close the shop. The 'only' challenge is making them compute for science first and turn them into credit whores later. But it can be done.

Cheers for your kind words, though I am not that sure if I still am a 'friend'... Guess I am engaged or something.

Diamond Member

Why don't you come to the team Matt? We are waiting for you...

Crazy and very Nosed Duke

Friend of SETI.USA

I will try to help some more once the Weather cools down, right now I just got out of the Hospital after a 9 day stay. Nothing that isn't controllable for now but something I will have to deal with the rest of my life anyway. Now that they finally discovered what is really wrong with me instead of treating me for something else the last 2 years until my health deteriorated to point where they had to hold me in the Hospital & run a battery of tests until they found the true sickness.

Right now & lately all I've been running is my Quad Laptop, between the Heat & my Health that's about all I can deal with. Once the weather cools where I don't have to fiddle with the Computers so much I'll fire up 3 - 5 more Box's & run about 9-10 Mill a day. I know one thing having most of the Box's shut off the last few Month's has saved me several Thousand of dollars & I don't ever want to go back to that big an expense again ....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast