Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: POEM: GPU Project Status

Diamond Member

POEM: GPU Project Status

As many of you have noticed, our GPU project has been re-enabled after the update last week.With the apparent error of our last release being fixed, I'm still not satisfied with the failing rate of GPU tasks, especially on NVIDIA cards.I think there are currently three main issues:1. Incompatibility to old AMD GPUs.We're suspecting our latest version of poemcl won't run properly on cards of the Radeon 4000 series, which only have a limited OpenCL support.If you are using such a GPU, and it works however, please let me know which OS and driver version you are using. If there is no working setup, we will exclude the Radeon 4000 series in future releases.2. Multi-GPU NVIDIA hosts still fail when using more than one graphics card for poemcl tasks.If you have attached a host with multiple NVIDIA cards to POEM@HOME, please configure your client to use only one of them for our project, see http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/client_configuration headword exclude_gpu.This is a well known problem which should have been fixed with the last release, but obviously it is a sticky one :(3. There is a new error, which may be related to incompatible OpenCL library versions.If your host uses only a single GPU, but still fails with poemcl tasks, please download one of the following files (depending on your OS):boinc.fzk.de/userdocs/temp/pcl_201_test_linux.tar.gzboinc.fzk.de/userdocs/temp/pcl_201_test_win.zipExtract the files to a new folder, run the executable (if it works, this may take some minutes), and post the content of stderr.txt in this thread.Thanks for your help!I hope we can improve the application soon with your feedback.

More...

Diamond Member

Re: POEM: GPU Project Status

Yes!! Back to work on my 250m MM.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Gold Member

Let's hear some runtimes/production on the new Poem OpenCL app!
    Right now I only have it running on one GPU, but I'll be adding others soon:
    HD 6950 Running 2wu/gpu with .5cpu/wu Runtime +/- 29,000 for 39,000 credits/day
    HD 7750 Running 2wu/gpu with .5cpu/wu Runtime +/- 21,000 for 53,500 credits/day
    HD 7790 Running 2wu/gpu with .5cpu/wu Runtime +/- 10,800 for 104,000 credits/day
    HD 7950 Running 2wu/gpu with .5cpu/wu Runtime +/- 10,100 for 111,000 credits/day (underclocked to 825Mhz for heat control)
    HD 7950 Running 3wu/gpu with 1 cpu/wu Runtime +/- 12,280 for 137,000 credits/day (OC'd to 1000Mhz)
    GTX 580 Running 2wu/gpu with 1 cpu/wu Runtime +/- 12,900 for 87,000 credits/day
    GTX 750Ti Running 2wu/gpu with 1 cpu/wu Runtime +/- 14,900 for 75,000 credits/day

Update: Comparing some initial results, mid-range 7xxx series cards appear to have a distinct efficiency advantage over the higher end cards for the new app. The 7750 & 7790 are getting roughly double the credits/watt than a 7970.

Update 6/29: Wow, very disappointed with the performance on HD 6950 - I figured there would be a hit due to the slightly older architecture but 27% slower than 7750 and half the production of the 750 Ti? That's bad!

Update 8/11: Got my 7950 running in a cool environment and overclocked comfortably at 1000Mhz, resulting in a 20% production gain.
    Last edited by FourOh; 08-11-14 at 09:42 AM.

Diamond Member

I am running .5 GPU and .5 CPU with my 7970s. 7800-8400 seconds per task.

Administrator

I don't know if it's changed, but Poem use to be a cpu project disguised as a gpu project. In the past it was better to reserve a full core per wu on the fastest processors you had available. The gpu also benefited by being in a x16 slot if at all possible because of the amount of data transfer.

Diamond Member

I think it has changed. Now it is more like a normal GPU project, as far as I can tell. At least on AMD GPUs.

Administrator

Cool, that will be a nice change. Too bad they didn't fix the dual nv problem while they were at it.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by FourOh View Post
    Let's hear some runtimes/production on the new Poem OpenCL app!
    Right now I only have it running on one GPU, but I'll be adding others soon:
    HD 7750 Running 2wu/gpu with .5cpu/wu Runtime +/- 21,000 for 53,500 credits/day
    I ran it on a GTX570.
    2WUs/gpu with .5 cpu
    Runtime about: 16000 secs/WU
    Credits/day: 70,200

Gold Member

Beware of Poem GPU heat! I just logged in remotely to check on my 7790 and it was running (stock clocks) at 99C!

Administrator

Well, that's actually a sign that it is using the gpu, never had heat issues previously.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast