Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: POEM: GPU Project Status

Diamond Member

Re: POEM: GPU Project Status

Great info. I really appreciate the work you're doing.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Administrator

Here are some times for 3 versus 4 WU

11500 3WU 146.5k/day
    15500 4WU 144.9k/day

GTX 780
    11000 3WU 153.1k/day
    14500 4WU 154.9k/day

There is virtually no difference between 3 and 4 at a time except WuProp goes up faster with 4 - the reason I changed I'm running the clocks at 1050.

I'm reserving 4 threads in all cases. The 7970 could be cut back to 1 or 2 and shouldn't have any effect ... VERY little CPU usage. The GTX 780 however IS using a full thread per WU.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    The GTX 780 however IS using a full thread per WU.
    and nVidia doesn't care.

[rant]
    nVidia has decided that since there is nothing in the OpenCL specs about whether kernels need to truly run asynchronously, unless there are more OpenCL command queues instantiated than there are CPU cores, it will run the kernel in synchronous mode which means the CPU will wait for the kernel to finish. That uses 100% of the CPU even though it really isn't doing anything but waiting. While many have complained about it, the excuse thus far has been.... OK. There hasn't been any and that's pissing many people off. Of course, nVidia would rather everyone use CUDA since that is proprietary and requires nVidia hardware. The CUDA apps use asynchronous kernels so my guess is that it is a marketing ploy. First they push OpenCL to get AMD to abandon CAL and Brook+ and then they change the drivers to encourage people to use CUDA. AMD's OpenCL compiler still has lots of bugs so nVidia doesn't feel threatened there. That, and AMD seems only interested in gamers now.[/rant]
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Past Administrator

This is why I have never liked nVidia. As a company, they are and always have been..... Assholes.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

I can only second Slicker's and F$'s rants about nVidia; their cards/chips are much more expensive than AMD's and at the same time a lot slower when it comes to brute force TFLOPS. Add to that their crappy policy with OpenCL: a standard they actively took part in its design in the Khronos Group IIRC, in contrast to AMD, and then crippled on their own hardware due to crappy marketing reasons.
    Well, I guess they argue someone has to keep buying their totally overpriced Quadro and Tesla product lines running CUDA...

And they still claim to be the world market leader in visual computing professional equipment, somehow I find that hard to believe... But then again it could be the traditionalists in businesses and research using GPU computing equipment for construction/design never buy anything else than NVidia equipment.

Sent from my personal Android slave using Tapatalk Pro
    CH
    "Everything will be great at the end! And if it is not great, it is not yet the end!" "Do not ever strive for perfection! Strive for excellence instead!"
    "Sometimes the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or even a single one!" "Infinite diversity in infinite combinations"

Silver Member

Well the poem gpu app is running on my phone 640 and 650ti with no problems

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by EmSti View Post
    I bet my work around for the old version works on the new version, I will need to try some day. The original reason I figured out how to get multiple clients to run on the same machine was to ignore all but one NVidia gpu and run Poem on it. One client for each gpu, each only able to see one NVidia.

I know it getting to be an old on-going theme of mine, but I tell you the multiple client thing solves interesting problems.
    My 7970 is looking for work. I couldn't find the app_info.xml anywhere in the searches. Can someone post theirs?

Thanks!

Gold Member

App_config.xml is what is needed. I believe I have one posted in the app_config.xml section, sorry not connected to home machine or I would post it here.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by EmSti View Post
    App_config.xml is what is needed. I believe I have one posted in the app_config.xml section, sorry not connected to home machine or I would post it here.
    <dumb look on face> There's an app_config.xml section? </dumb>

EDIT: Thanks. All the searches I did, even advanced searches looking in posts and everything didn't show that thread. :/

Gold Member

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast